Thursday, October 20, 2011

2 out of 5 Stars

Okay, sorry I've been gone so long.  I took a creative vacation, which is sort of ridiculous because I'm not that creative in this space.  Anyway, sorry about that.
wanna go to dinner? These are good.

I want to talk about online reviews.  Online reviews can really hold a lot of weight in peoples decisions on everything, from restaurants to apartment homes, from car dealerships to colleges and universities.

A lot of times, when you are trying to make an educated decision about something, you hit up the internet to find out what others have had to say about it.  Sometimes it's a big decision, and sometimes it's a small decision, but a negative review or two can really affect someones decision.  For example, my sister-in-law is a high school senior who is going to be headed to college next fall.  When exploring her options, we suggested she looking an art school that is very close to our apartment here in Nashville.  She could go to that school and live with us, living very close to her school.  But when she looked online to what other had said, she found less than desirable reviews, and now that school is out of the running altogether.  Really?  Not going to even consider it now after a few online reviews? I'm biased because I want her to move here, but you know, that seems like quite a sweeping decision based not on information you found out yourself, but what someone else had to say.

I was at the car dealership a few weeks ago, and while I was there, I got what I perceived as less-than-excellent service from them.  The first thing I thought about doing was going online and telling people not to buy their car from them.  I would have to say from experience that someone somewhere would look online for what I, or anyone, had to say about the place and think twice about going there.  Boom, internet review hurting their business.  Happens all the time.  My step-dad lives on the review sections of sites researching what is good and what isn't before he makes a purchase.

It made think that we should all be doing these reviews.  Unfortunately, most of the time when someone feels compelled to go online to review something, it's very often negative.  So a place could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, (especially if you're reviewing a bread slicing place) but two or three people go online and say "IT'S TERRIBLE" when in reality, it wasn't that bad, it can really deter someone from going there.  So I need to remember, that when I have an experience out there in the world at a business, I should go online and tell people what's good, as well as what's bad.  It's only fair.  Just one negative review on an independent site can really do damage.  That's all it takes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment