Thursday, December 15, 2011

Green Christmas

I have to say, it's pretty hard to get into the Christmas mood when it's 70 degrees.  Last night as I was walking the dog in shorts and a t-shirt, I had to stop and remind myself that it's the Christmas season.  It felt more like spring or early fall to me.  Now this isn't some kind of bragging, you know, like, "ha ha it's warm here be jealous you northerners."  It's just a fact that it's still weird to have a "green Christmas" every year.

Technically, if I remember correctly, last year we actually had a white Christmas here in middle Tennessee, but it's not like home's white Christmas.  There was a dusting on the ground, and so it was technically white, it's just not the same as trudging through ankle-deep fresh snow going into a relative's house.  It's just hard to remember that it's Christmas when it's 70 degrees outside.  That's all I'm saying.

Right now, my lovely wife is wrapping little baby Evie's Christmas presents.  It's rainy and warm today, and even though it's not a beautiful spring day like yesterday, it's still sort of feels like it.  It does not feel like December here.  So to make sure it felt like Christmas here in our little apartment, I've hooked up this computer I'm typing on to the stereo and have Pandora playing Christmas music.  I also turned the tree lights on.  Everything helps, but's I have to make a real effort to stay in the Christmas mindset.

Another thing that was a reminder yesterday that it is indeed the middle of December, it was 70 degrees, but the sun was going down at 4:30 p.m.  That sort of thing just doesn't happen on the days it's supposed to be warm.

So I'm trying to be in the Christmas spirit, but it's just hard when there's
no snow and when you don't need a jacket and stuff.




Shredder thinks he's presents 


1 comment:

  1. That tree looks gorgeous! I'm so with you on the "no-snow sucks" thing. Even in Lansing it's totally green and rainy after the 6" of snow we got melted away. One of the only times I miss the U.P.

    I think I'm going to work on getting my lights up and the little tree we have set up as well. Maybe it'll help set the mood :)

    ReplyDelete