Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pajamas

You know what I want to get?  I want to get some of those pajamas that are actually pajamas.  Like, the pants and matching button-down shirt, perhaps with stripes on them.  Oh, and one of those sleep caps that I've never seen in real life, only in pictures and cartoons and the Don't Wake Daddy board game.  Whatever happened to pajamas?  Since when do we all just sleep in whatever we're wearing?  Whatever happened to dressing up to go to sleep? Whatever happened to nightgowns for ladies?  Does anyone wear nightgowns anymore?  No one in my house does.

I guess I started thinking about pajamas this morning because I wish I was wearing them right now instead of this work uniform.  Pajamas are great!  I used to wear pajamas as a kid.  I wore them for a number of years, until, well, I don't remember when I started sleeping in basketball shorts every night, but that's what I do now.  That's not pajamas.  I have t-shirts that are either to old and ratty to wear out of the house, or a tight-fitting t-shirt or two that I wear to sleep.  I'm convinced that I sleep better in a tight-fitting shirt, and this is a conclusion I've only come to in the past couple of months. I can roll over and not be all caught up in this baggy shirt all night long. People sleep in all kinds of stuff, in all kinds of combinations.  Bethany sleeps with no pants and a t-shirt.  Lydia seems to sleep in sweatpants and a tanktop, mostly. I couldn't sleep in sweatpants.  That seems like it'd be too warm.  But she does, so that's fine, I guess.

It got me thinking, what do people sleep in the most?  I'd like to think the "no pants, t-shirt" thing is probably a popular choice, but I have this theory that I don't want to be sleeping in anything I wouldn't want to have to run into the street wearing.  So it's basketball shorts for me.  But I think I really want to try out an actual pair of pajamas.  Like, the kind that when you get up in the morning and stretch, your ankles get exposed.  And I want one of those caps.  Like, look at Bananas in Pajamas.  If Bananas in Pajamas were like me, they'd be wearing basketball shorts and a black t-shirt, and they wouldn't be called Bananas in Pajamas, they'd be called Bananas Who Are Ballers.  "Bananas that are the "shirts" in a "shirts v.s. skins" game." You can't market that.  That would never sell.  

What do you sleep in?  Naked?  I've tried that a couple times, just to try it, and it usually sucks.  There's a control issue there, where I like my skin to be contained inside something, know what I mean?  I've tried just sleeping in boxers, but again, same issue.  I don't like all that freedom of some of my parts that I don't need to be free.  I don't know, what I sleep in is comfortable enough, but perhaps I'm missing an amazing experience of actual adult pajamas.  If real pajamas are good enough for my daughter, then damn it, I want some myself.  

1 comment:

  1. I wear adult pajamas. They're so cozy and amazing. Old Navy pajamas are the best.

    One downside, however, is that the tops tend to lose their buttons and then you cant really wear the top after a couple of buttons wandered off. So then that leads to wearing a tshirt/tank top with the bottoms. Then the pants rip at that point because they're really worn out and old. So then you just ditch the pants and go for the tshirt solo.

    Its a cycle of comfort.

    ReplyDelete