Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Renting vs Buying Your Home

Dude who lives upstairs, I hope you read this.  You're really loud, and if you had any sense of your surroundings, you would realize you live above people.  You can't just drop heavy shit on the floor.  You can slide your feet when you walk, not stomp and shake my windows.  It's not that hard to live with common courtesy.  You, the reader, may be wondering why I don't go up there, knock on his door and ask him to cool it, but I'd rather bitch about it than do anything.  I'm not a confrontational person, and I don't want to make him feel bad or whatever for doing something that really isn't that big of a deal, like living in an apartment.  It's okay, but it's annoying when I get startled when this dude drops something on his floor.  If it was really affecting my quality of life more than just being annoyed, then I might say something.  I've lived in this apartment for four years, and I've had a few different neighbors live above us, and I've never really noticed them.  That's how I know it's not the apartment, it's the occupant.

Honestly, living in an apartment isn't bad.  I like that when something breaks, I just have to make a phone call to get it fixed instead of a run to Home Depot.  Sure, I don't really have a yard to play in with my kids, but they're too young for that anyway.  I also don't have to mow my lawn, because the landscapers come on over weekly to do that.  Renters insurance is like, $8 a month.  I don't know what homeowners insurance is like, but that's pretty cheap to me.  I like renting.  I believe someday I will move into a house, but I don't know when.  It's a lot of work, man.  Someday though.  I want to buy a house just so I can play my drums.

I'm afraid of buying a house in a location I won't like.  I mean, I'm sure we would get used to whatever our surrounding are, but here in Nashville, there are some neighborhoods next to other neighborhoods that I wouldn't want to live.  We also don't have any money.  Buying a house seems like such a commitment that I'm scared of.  I'm stuck in this apartment lease on a year by year basis, I'd hate to be tied to a house for 30 years.  That's the rest of my life, yo.  And I'll have to spring for a new hot water heater at a moments notice.  No thanks.

Anyway, that's all I suppose.  I got retweeted by CM Punk today, so that's pretty awesome.  I need to go vacuum now.  Have a nice day.


2 comments:

  1. Our homeowner's insurance is about $500/year. It goes up of course if you make a claim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We weren't totally sold on buying a home (haha, get it?) until we figured out that the amount we saved in rent each month could pay for a new water heater in about two months. A little rent savings nest egg is helpful. But home buying isn't right for everyone all the time.

    ReplyDelete