Saturday, June 19, 2010

House of a Thousand Islands

My brain is a rattlin' around with thoughts this morning, none of which would seriously interest most while reading. Most have to do with a music career, playing show on Sunday night, and watching more baseball.

You know what's really good? Thousand Island dressing. It's so tasty. It's also pretty bad for you, thus taking away the idea of eating foliage for lunch. Plants are good for you, but not so much when you add 13 grams of fat to it, thanks to Thousand Island dressing. And that amount is for 2 tablespoons. I assure you, I used more than two tablespoons on my salad today. In fact, there's supposed to be 8 servings in this bottle. Ive used it twice and it's half gone. So I took the health out of my health food, and merely ate food today. It could have been worse. They also put Thousand Island dressing on a Big Mac, and that has 34 grams of fat.

That statistic, 34 grams of fat, has been thrown around a lot, especially by Subway, which touts their food as being healthy, and thusly, the opposite of McDonald's. So they pointed out that a Big Mac has 34 grams of fat, and we all know that's sounds like a lot. It's the percentage they leave out when giving the statistic that startled me when I looked up the Nutrition Facts on the delicious, but forbidden treasure that is the Big Mac.

Fifty-Two Percent. I spelled it out to make it hit home a little harder. That is more than half of you're daily allowance of fat in one little, non-filling sandwich. 11 grams of Saturated Fat! These are all facts that I'm sure we're all aware of when woofing down some grub, often late at night. But its something we don't particularly worry about because when you eat the Big Mac, you don't see immediate and negative results.

There is a wholenother argument as to why you should never ever eat McDonald's food ever, but I'm not getting into that right now. Fuck that place, man. Seriously.

We all know McDonald's is bad for you, health wise, but I felt like a little wouldn't hurt. Not only for you but for me as well. As you may know, I am a Vegetarian, and have been for over two years now. The only thing, and I do mean the ONLY thing I crave way too often is the Big Mac. I love that food so much. It tastes so good. MMMMMMMMMM I'm lovin' it

SHIT, NO!!!

I have been struggling with this problem for two years now. I have been majorly tempted in the past. It's been right in front of me, and I had to resist. I live a fucking block away from a McDonald's, but I have resisted. I want one, but I know there is a greater good, a better reason to avoid the thing. here's what I avoid:

Them - "oh you're a vegetarian?"
Me - "yeah but I ate a Big Mac last week"
Them - "Liar" "Cheater"
Me - "...Yeah"

So I can never do it again. All I can do is try to recreate the magic in my own kitchen with a meatless burger, but it just ain't the same, man. Sometimes, you just gotta separate the good from the good for you, and try as hard as you can to stick to the good for you. I may have put more than 13 grams of fat onto my salad today, but it was probably better than other options available for consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment