Saturday, August 17, 2013

Saturday School

When I was in middle and high school, I was given a lot of Saturday school detentions.  I got them because I would get regular, after school detention, and I would just not show up.  When I didn't show, they gave me Saturday. Saturday school was four hours, form eight a.m. to noon.  No one would give me a ride to Saturday school because, you know, punishment, or whatever.  I don't know why I didn't just go to the regular, after school one hour version of detention.  I think a lot of it had to do with if I skipped out, I would have a ride home, maybe?  And if I went to detention, I would have to walk home, which was not a short walk.  Yeah, that probably happened, I don't remember.  Or, perhaps I could have avoided detention all together if I had just done my homework every once in a while.  I rarely did my homework, and I got detention A LOT.

Anyway, I was thinking about Saturday school this morning, because I remember being there, tired, bored, and instead of doing homework, I would pass the time by letting my imagination run wild.  I would do this by grabbing a pen and a notebook and writing out professional wrestling shows.  I was a huge, huge wrestling fan in high school.  It was the most important thing in my life at that time.  I had all these characters and story lines,  Rivalries and enemies.  I had gimmicks, factions.  I had this entire roster of wrestlers that I had dreamed up, with champions, and everything, and I would sit there and write out an entire wrestling show in that four hours of sitting there.  I realized this morning that that was really the only time I was ever creative about anything in my life, creative on my own, not forced by assignment by a teacher, or in a group setting like making songs with a band.  Of course, I was massively embarrassed by this little hobby.  I would have died if anyone had found these writings.  Even in the late 90's and early 2000's when wrestling was pretty cool, it was still not that cool.  I felt like some little loser wrestling fan.  But it helped me pass the time while being stuck in a situation that was extremely boring, and kept me alert and excited about what I could come up with next.  I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with my ideas. It was never something I would have ever considered perusing as a career or whatever, but it was a fun little hobby and something that really brought me a lot of personal pride and joy.

So this was just a thought I had this morning and I thought I would share it here on the blog.  Thanks for reading.  Have a great weekend.  

2 comments:

  1. Will you post a sample from one of these shows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saved any of them. I didn't think I'd want anyone to read them ever.

    ReplyDelete