Friday, August 21, 2009

Questioning my place/Nashville is cool

So sometimes, I wonder what drives me to write a blog anyway. This problem has always plagued me in past attempts to maintain a record of events of my life. I get ideas that I would like to share, but usually I just start writing about things I hope will happen in the near future. I think I do that because I need to put it in writing how I want things to go. It's my retarded way of planing for the future. Perhaps I should be more reflective sometimes. But storytelling is not my strong point because I tend to be long winded and I also seem to run into a case of, "ya had to be there."
But I guess my lack of attempts to do so would indicate that I just am not interested in that sort of thing, for myself at least. Ya see, now that I have begun this way, if I dive into a "story" it will seem forced. I dont know, let's see what comes out and how many times I jump off topic.

So my parents came to town on Friday night. That was cool, and we did a lot of stuff in a mere 4 days. I ate Japanese, Italian, southern and Mexican foods while they were here. Rich parents are good for eating out 5 or 6 times in a 4 day span. Talking about food makes me realize I didn't eat breakfast. The tummy rumbles. But yeah, we went to this place called Goten, its a Japanese hibachi type deal. I drank some Kirin Ichiban and Dean was drinking this unfiltered Sake stuff. He was gettin real drunk at that point. Well we ended up downtown Nashville. I havent been downtown for more than just walking around a few times looking at all the places. Well we ventured into a few establishments down there, one of them being Coyote Ugly. I tell ya, that was a trip. One problem I had with the place was the bathroom setup. it was very open and talkative. This poses a problem for me because of my insanely shy bladder. I attempted and failed to piss in that bathroom 4 times. I was in pain, yet I could not realease!!! I had to leave the place and use the facilities in the much quiter bar upstairs. While I was in there, my mom and wife couldnt find Dean. Turns out, he was back in the bar buying a body shot. I guess he walked out of the place with his shirt over his head and his belt wrapped around it or something crazy. I dont know but he seemed to enjoy it. I would never do something like that. I'm way too shy, but those girls there were pretty hott.

Well we wondered around downtown for a while hitting a few bars, with a stop at Mikes Ice cream shop, where the owner used to be a student in Dean's 7th grade class, or something. That took entirely too long, and it nearly killed all of my buzz. The night ended with Dean dancing to a band playing a cover of "she thinks my tractor's sexy" and repeating things about Sexy Tractors for the rest of the night.

Sunday night, we ate Mexican and went grocery shopping. Boring. But we did play scrabble and I beat my mom in a one on one match after th 4 way battle had ended.

Monday, we golfed in the morning. I didn't keep score, but I felt like I played well. Dean is getting better at golfing, but he still isn't that good. My mom has a swing like Charles Barkley, which is fun to watch. But Dean gave me a tip on my swing that helped me insanely. Now that I remembered this swing tip, I cant wait to go golf again, which I can only hope will be sometime next week, depending on finances. I have 2 and a half holes in my golf glove now though, so I need to do some shopping.

After golf, Dean and I went to Titans training camp and watched them do stuff. that was pretty cool. We were a half an hour late to pick up Bethany then, whoops. We went to Demos' for dinner which has great Italian. After that, we tried to go to the opryland hotel, but it was friggin $18 to park, so we said screw that. We went to the wine and liquer store and bought some shit, came home and played scrabble again, and I won. I actually got rather drunk that night. Felt good.

Tuesday, we ate Monells, which is a Southern food family dinner place where you pass the food around the table. After we left there, by a stroke of luck, we took a wrong turn and ended up at a bar called 3rd and Lindsay. When we walked in, the guy at the door asked us if we were here to see the band, and that there was a cover. We said we would think about it and if we stayed, we would pay. We decided after 2 hours of drinkin, that we would leave if he wouldnt let us stay at this point. Well the cover was $10. We were ready to walk out and go either somewhere else or go home when were smoking outside, and started talking to a guy there. He informed us that we should not leave, and that were about to see the absolute best musician in all of Nashville, and that's a lot of musicians. He told us these guys were all session players and only play out once in a while. Well the main guy's name is Brett Mason, and he is known as "the most recorded person in the history of music." Once we realize that were about to see something pretty amazing, we decided to stay. This band was worth every penny of a $10 cover. It was up there in the best live music I have ever seen. period.

So they left on wednesday afternoon, as I was going to work. overall, a good time was had by all. Sorry this is so fucking long, I really should have done this in a different format. Long story short, Dean liked Nashville so much, he's looking into jobs here, now. But I do feel that if my mom moved here, it would be counter-productive of my development as a human. more on that another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment