Monday, July 12, 2010

Another Music Post

Last night, me and my band had a band meeting to discuss the future of the band. We're changing the name, our guitar player Andy has left the band and we got this new guy. His name is Kaveh and he's only 19. He is 8 years younger than me, which means I'm old, but I'm not worried about it. Well, I gave him a ride to his car from the Mexican restaurant we ate at and when we got in my car, I had the latest AP podcast playing, which is an interview with Good Charlotte. As it started to play, he asked what it was, and I told him. He asked if I like Good Charlotte, and I quickly answered that I didn't, but I like the podcasts, no matter who the guest is. I put on a different song and we drove to his car.

After he got out, I realized that I had just done something that I have been trying to avoid for quite some time, and that is not worry about listening to whatever I listen to. So I called him back over to my car, where I informed him that I am in fact a fan of Good Charlotte, because, well, I am. I have been for quite some time, and I shouldn't worry about that. What kind of music fan are you if you listen to Good Charlotte. The perception of that band is not good. I try not to, but I have a tendency to look down at people that listen to questionable modern music, and doing so, I am a hypocrite. I listen to questionable modern music as well. I had to tell him that I was a fan of Good Charlotte, because I can't lie. I can't try to make myself look cooler by only listening to the hippest and coolest new band on the block. I listen to whatever I want, and that has usually been the case for my entire adult life.

Now, I will admit that sometimes I will get into some music because it will make me look cooler and more respectable to my peers. Usually, it's genuine. Getting into MGMT back in 2008 was an example of a pop-punk kid like me trying to listen to more artsy music so that others around me would view me as knowledgeable and hip. I didn't know what to do with myself. So I got into that album, even though I didn't really like it. Since then, I have really crafted the art of sniffing out good, undergound music, and I pride myself on that fact. I swear to god, some people only listen to what they listen to because it will make them look cooler.

A lot of people don't like certain music because they don't get it, and that's okay. Some people don't like music because they don't care for that type of music. Some people just like the handful of bands they currently listen to and always will, and that's fine. I "get" MGMT, I just don't like it anymore. I "get" Dum Dum Girls, but that doesn't make it good. I can't believe an artsy indie band could possibly be formulaic, but Dum Dum Girls managed to do it. It just ain't for me, and not all music is for everyone, that's why having billions of songs by millions of bands is a good thing. There's always something out there for everyone. And for me, Good Charlotte is a band I like, and probably always will, because I like it. That's all that matters. I know it won't make me look cool, but I do it anyway, because it makes me happy.

Happy listening

No comments:

Post a Comment