Saturday, July 3, 2010

Don't Have a Cow Man

Everybody knows that Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, right? As Big Dave documented last month, there are plenty of reasons to not like Tome Cruise, not entirely because of his beliefs, but that he comes across as a nut-job because of them. Sure, people can believe what they want, that's the beauty of living in America.

I really don't want to get into the details of the Church of Scientology, if you want the truth about the whole thing, visit this website. From what I have learned/heard though, is that the whole thing is just absurd. But my beliefs are not exactly in line with Christians or Jews or any other religion, so who am I to criticize the Church of Scientology anyway?

(I have to get this religion post out of the way before the next big thing happens. More on that later, I suppose?)

I got thinking about the Church of Scientology, and more specifically celebrity Scientologists this morning because I found out that Charles Crandall Finster is a Scientologist. So is Bartholomew Jojo Simpson. Two celebrities that I would not have guessed followed the beliefs. Those celebrity names not ringing a bell? Well, those are the names of cartoon characters better known as Chuckie from Rugrats and Bart Simpson. Those animated kids are voiced by Nancy Cartwright. Nancy Cartwright is a Scientologist, and has been since the late 1980's, and therefore, these cartoon kids are also. Whenever I find out that someone is a Scientologist, I immediately wonder what they're thinking about. What crazy thoughts are they thinking about? It blows me away how someone can be religious, subscribing to any religion, and also live a "normal" life. This is probably true because I am not religious. But I understand Christians, and what they believe (generally) and I don't have to wonder what they're thinking about because I've grown up in a world where Christian beliefs are the norm. But Scientology? Ive researched it a bit in the past on one of those midnight shifts at the old job where I spent a good 3 hours studying what Scientologist believe, and what they put people through, and what they expect from the believers to "advance." If I'm not mistaken, if you donate enough money, you can gain higher rank. So you buy you're way to the top? That just seems absurd. For example, Bart Simpson donated $10 million to the church in 2007, which is twice his (her) annual salary. You must really love that place to do that. So I guess I can't knock something I don't fully understand, but on the surface, to me, it just seems like a ridiculous waste of time and money. I don't know how much the people that go to church benefit from going there. Spirituality is important, and that should not be ridiculed by some Agnostic like me on a Saturday morning.

I say have fun, Scientologists, enjoy it. You obviously found something to believe in, even if it's probably a farce. Just don't go on TV and look like a moron. Jason Lee is a Scientologist, but he "doesn't want to be a spokesperson for anything." I like that. Just keep it to yourself. Enjoy what you do. After all, this is America, and you can do whatever you like.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the days of yore, Roman Catholicism had "indulgences," a program by which you could buy your way into heaven by paying money to be absolved each time you committed a sin, so I suppose that Scientology isn't so far afield from some major religions. That being said, I don't believe in it and struggle to truct the validity of anything based on a book that once sold exclusively on late night infomercials. Strike one. Also, Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, and that is strike two. Curveball low and away actually caught the corner, sorry Scientology, that's strike three.

    ReplyDelete