Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Business of Music

Today I want to talk about a man named Mark Andrews. Mark Andrews is better known by his stage name, Sisqo. According to Sisqo's Wikipedia page, he is best known as the lead singer of the singing group Dru Hill. I would tend to disagree, as most people only know him because of the "Thong Song." A dude with silver hair griped this nation approximately ten years ago, singing about a particular piece of women's clothing, and we were all a little bit dumber afterwards for it. Here's the thing, if Thong Song hadn't been such a huge hit, I probably wouldn't hate that song, it would just be some other novelty song from the late 90's that was a gimmick, but didn't work. Well, that's the problem, this was a gimmick that actually worked. There were (are) a lot of gimmicks in modern music. How else do you think stupid shit sticks?

What got me to think about Sisqo this morning? I was reading my book "All you need to know about the music business" and they were talking about music videos. I always thought music videos are self-funded, but that's apparently not true. Well anyway, it reminded me of a music video that was shot in the year 2000, that was deemed so bad, it wasn't even released. The problem with it is that they spent an ungodly amount of money producing the thing. But it was a cheese-ball video that didn't even get released. It just goes to show that the industry was quite the monster back then that it certainly is not now.

MTV stopped playing videos, and that's okay with me. I understand that that is a business, and the way to make money is to cut things that don't make money and keep the things that do. Music videos, even though people claim is what they really want out of MTV, apparently doesn't make MTV any money. Snooki makes MTV money. You can't argue with that. If you don't like what's on, don't fucking watch it. MTV created a market for the music video as the premise of their channel, and killed the music video when they decided to stop playing them, even though the channel remained successful. The music video is irrelevant now, even though most bands still make them, and you can find them on the internet. I haven't really watched videos in quite a while, because I just don't care. If you were going to play me a block of videos on a screen in front of me and I have no control over the content, I would likely watch them. If I get to choose the videos, I'm probably not going to watch. Don't ask me why, that's just how it is. But anyway, Sisqo made a terrible and yet very expensive music video that few people ever saw. (one being me, they eventually played it on MTV telling people that this video was never released because it sucks, so since it was on MTV, I'm probably not the only one who's seen it.) Why mention it to you? Because it's an example of industry excess that those executives figured would never end and would only increase. Oh, how the businessmen and women of America are so short-sighted.
I read an amazing book a while back called "Appetite for Self-Destruction: The Spectacular Crash of The Record Industry in the Digital Age." It basically talked about how the entire industry collapsed after Shawn Fanning created Napster. If Fanning had never created Napster, someone else would have, because this thing was bound to happen. That book, coupled with the book I'm currently reading, it looks like a career as a musician just ain't what it used to be. Oh, how I wish I was making music ten years ago. This all would have been so easy.

I know I sorta already wrote this blog before, and I hope you don't mind me talking about some more. The only person making great music videos anymore is Lady Gaga. She has done an amazing job of capturing the internet audience, while other haven't. I honestly can't cite numbers of examples, but I just know. The one figure I know is that her videos have been collectively viewed over a billion times. I heard that like, a month ago, so it's probably like 1.5 billion now. Fucking amazing. In the age of industry turmoil, Lady Gaga is the only shining star to come out of it. She hasn't managed to replicate the album sales of the industries' past, but she certainly has figured out how to be successful without the old business model. The last artist to sell 10,000,000 copies of an album was Usher...in 2004. The best selling album of 2009 was Taylor Swift, and that only sold 6 million. Lil Wayne sold 3.2 million in 2008. By contrast, the best selling album in 2001 was (I just found this out, by the way) Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park. That sold 9.6 million albums in the U.S. alone to date. (can't find figures from 2001 alone) Those numbers will probably never come back. How do musicians make money in the future? Not sure anyone really knows the answer to that. All I know that you'll have to change the culture of the listener again, and that will probably involve telling them to pay up, and they will probably not like it at first. It took iTunes a year to sell 50 million songs. iTunes has sold 11 billion songs since it's launch in 2003. Impressive, but it's a very small fraction of the songs downloaded illegally. Here's the stat blowin' my mind right now: 40 Billion songs were "shared" illegally in 2008. Holy fuck. I guess I didn't realize how bad it got. It's good if you simply want you're song to be heard by people, because that's obviously happening, but you're not getting paid for it. I guess I understand the defeatism that musicians express when talking about illegal downloads. They know there's nothing they can do about it anymore. This stat has just changed everything for me.

This stat might kill the dream a little. It's not possible anymore. And that makes me pretty sad.

So to tie things together from beginning to end, you used to be able to put out a music video and sell 10 million albums. Now, you make a record, it gets stolen, and you try to make a buck some other way. You could also argue that music videos sold records, and they don't play videos on MTV anymore. But illegal downloads killed the industry as we knew it, yet artists still make records and videos. I guess it shows that it's not always about the money as it was starting to become. I don't see a reason for an artist to make a music video anymore, honestly. And I really didn't know at the time when all these illegal downloading sites started popping up what impact they really would have on the industry. Lars Ulrich of Metallica was absolutely correct back then, and he was hung out to dry by people that felt they were entitled to getting things for free. I'd like to hear your opinion on illegal downloads if you would like to share them.

3 comments:

  1. This is Caleb on Megan's computer:



    First and foremost, Chicago's first album was amazing, when they were a rock-jazz brass heavy progressive outfit. When they hit about 1975 and went all soft rock, pretty much when Terry Kath accidentally shot himself in the head, that's when it went to absolute shit.

    Here's my thoughts on stealing music - they've changed. Back in college there was a confluence of three things - first, a lack of money, second, a fast internet connection, and third, a necessity to conform to the collegiate ideal of branching out and "being yourself" and being creative and piercing your nose. Back then, you get thrown together with people from different places and cultures and artistic tastes, and in a need to fit in, you have to listen to whatever music is being pumped. That's why the once called genre of "college music" is always for most people the most creative and "out there". If I was in Marquette and wanted to hear something that I have never heard before, I would turn on Radio X over any other station (but most college radio falls into genre shows these days.) So stealing music on napster, or morpheus, friendster, kazaa, mytunes, or mininova was completely tolerated, along with the "fuck the man" aesthetic back in college. I think part of it also stems from "I gotta pay to listen to artistic creation? Shouldn't artists be trying to get me to listen to them instead of me paying for the privilege? fuck that. "

    Now that I'm out of college 4 fucking years, and CDs are dead (but vinyl somehow lives on) the last two albums I've bought were through itunes or amazon mp3. I haven't stolen any music lately for two real reasons - first, no hard drive space (I really gotta do something about that) and second, $10 for me is at this point in my career, a drop in the bucket, and it's not worth the hassle of finding a torrent tracker that works, not worth the potential hassle of dealing with the ISP (I'm not really afraid of getting sued though, since they tend to to that just to make examples out of a couple people), and dealing with poorly labeled tracks and ID3 tags, poor quality rips...and even with lala getting shut down by The Man, there are many ways to listen to an entire album (grooveshark, myspace music, spotify) repeatedly and legally to try something out before you buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the deal: I don't have an ounce of remorse over the state of the music industry. They are in the same boat as every other industry in history where they spent years taking advantage of the position they were, making obscene profits off of the general public, until they were replaced by new technology that they thought they didn't need to embrace. Ask the railroads how their fight against the automobile ended up. Or newspapers vs. the Internet. If you come to the point as an industry where you are unwilling to adapt to new technology you are doomed to failure, that is just how the world works. I have not and will not shed a single tear for the music industry. If you want to make a career out of it get creative like Lady Gaga or Radiohead and you will be fine. It's all about adapting to new technology instead of fighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I don't even know what to say right now, because these comments are absolutely on point.

    ReplyDelete