Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

Halloween has always, always been right near the top of my favorite holidays. I have so many great memories of trick or treading around Negaunee, with all the game-planning I would do, usually with my cousin Patrick and a friend or two or ours. We would plan out our route, as to maximize our candy-grab, and we always underestimated our endurance.

You see, Negaunee is set up in the ideal fashion for Trick or Treating in my opinion. It's street, next to street, next to street, next to street, with lots and lots of houses, all of which are egear to hand out the delicious "fun size" chocolate bars. Quite frankly, if any house gave me anything else than a chocolate bar, I was pretty mad that I wasted my time on that house. There's chocolate in these other houses, and you're wasting my time with Jolly Ranchers? Get outta here, man.

But anyway, we would have all kinds of plans to hit Lincoln st, Main st, Case st, Peck st, and Clark st, and if there was time, Cherry st. I don't think we ever made it past half of Clark st, because we got tired or it was just too dark, and everyone had pretty much gone home at that point, and people started running out of candy on the later parts so they had their lights off. We would get a pretty decent haul, but not like some other kids, who would fill half of a pillow case. We never ever got that much, but we would deffinately get way too much for one kid. Didn't matter though, it was about getting as much as you could, no matter if you needed it or not.

Those were some of the best nights of my youth. Everyone in town is out and about, and it just felt like something was happening, and it certainly was. It's Halloween!

As I got older, I would dress up anyway, even if it was just to hand out candy at home. I still wanted to show off how great a costume I could put together. In high school, I dressed up exclusivly as some sort of Pro Wrestling charecter. I was Head Banger Thrasher one year, then I was Mankind, and then I was Kane. One year when I was much younger I was Road Warrior Hawk, and that was a badass costume, thanks to my Stepmom. She put that together amazingly.

And then as an adult, I would dress up every year, with better costumes every year. One year I tried to paint my face up like some kind of skelaton, and tried to wash it off because it looked stupid. It ended up just smudging all the black and white paint together and it turned like a grey mess, and this was the year when all the Anthrax was being sent around, so I just said I had Anthrax for Halloween. It was pretty funny.

I dressed as a Myspace in 2006. I was Tummy T. Togo in 2007. I was a Weatherman in a Hurricane in 2008, and that won me $100.

Last year, I took a pass on costumes.

This year, I wore my wife's beer maid costume from last year, and it was a hit at the party I went to last night.

Halloween is always a blast, no matter if your young or old. I hate when people have a problem with adults dressing up for Halloween. It's still fun to do stuff for this amazing holiday. I don't care, I just like to have fun with it. I'd say Halloween is my favorite holiday, but Christmas still rules for several reasons. But it certainly is up there. Probably number 2 on the list.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment