Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Shamrock Shakes

This blog post is a month or two late, but I wanted to weigh in on McDonald's Shamrock Shakes.  Yes, I know, this is totally irrelevant in the month of May, but I want to set the record straight here.

I love them, and this completely flies in the face of everything I hold to be true.  Everyone who know me knows I totally hate the mix of chocolate and mint.  Thin mints are gross.  Mint Chip ice cream is gross.  Mint doesn't belong in ice cream.  Ice cream is supposed to be sweet or savory, not minty.  Mint belongs in gum.  Mint belongs on candy canes. Not ice cream. But a Shamrock Shake?  Not sure what kind of crack rocks they put in there, but damn, they're good.  My wife says "this is exactly what mint chip ice cream tastes like."  Not the mint chip I've had, apparently.

I don't know, maybe I'm just coming around on this?  Maybe I don't hate it after all?  Maybe I just have to admit I was wrong in saying I don't like mint and sweets mixed together?  And another thing, I hate McDonald's for what they are, as a company.  McDonald's is the main culprit in the advancement of the downfall of healthy Americans, and the sheer numbers of meat products produced for one restaurant is mind-boggling, bringing about a culture of "if the meal doesn't have meat, it ain't a meal." And I'm sure we all know by now that meat production, and the destruction it causes, is the biggest environmental issue facing this planet, right?  As a rather strict vegetarian and someone that cares about the environment, McDonald's is supposed to be my enemy.  But damn do they make a tasty shake every March.  It kills me to go through that drive-thru, but oh man is it worth it on the other end.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say.  I just wanted to admit that perhaps I was wrong about the mint/sweets thing.  I don't know, I'll get back to you on that.  I won't just blindly hate on anything minty anymore.  I'll give everything with mint a second chance.  Because this shamrock shake thing is really good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment