Wednesday, May 23, 2012

You Have To See It To Believe It

Sleep Inducing, apparently
Last night, I was sitting here on the couch with my lovely wife.  We had just put our little lovely daughter to bed for the night, when I switched on the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.  The score of the game between the Phoenix Coyotes and the Los Angeles Kings was tied 3-3 and it was heading into the third period.  My wife looked at me and asked if we could go to bed, because it was getting a little late and we had to be up in the morning.  I said to her, "how about you just to to bed without me, I'd like to see the rest of this game."  She protested, and let me watch a bit longer while I gave her a good foot rub.  Well, she soon grew extra sleepy, and since I was nice enough to rub her feet, she let me stay up and watch while she went off to dreamland.  The game headed into overtime, and I stayed up even longer to watch some more.  I was committed at this point, to seeing this game to it's end.

However, about halfway through the overtime period, I caught myself falling asleep on the couch.  I figured that since I didn't really root for either team, I would just head to bed.  I found out in the morning that the Kings won the game and are headed to the Stanley Cup Finals.  I missed it, because I was tired.

But it got me thinking, there is just something about watching something, seeing it happen with your own eyes, live, as it happens, that is just so important to a lot of people, me included.  That game was going to finish, someone was going to win, no matter if I stayed up and watched it or not.  But I wanted to see the if the Kings would dispose of the Coyotes last night, with my own eyes.  I knew it was possible, so that's why I felt inclined to watch.  They did, and I missed it.

I'm not that upset that I missed the game, really.  But there is just that feeling that I missed out, and now I'm left out of the conversation as to what happened.  I know exactly what happened to end the game last night, I made sure to read up on what I missed, but I guess my point here is that I like to watch things unfold as they happen, even if my participation in the event has no bearing on the outcome.  Actually, I'm not entirely sure what my point is, to be honest.  I just thought about how people like to watch things.  And I don't even like either team, I just want to be a part of someone else's moment.

Oh well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment