Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How I Met Your Expectations

I lump all CBS shows into one category.  Total shit.  Yeah, I mean except like, the Price is Right and Letterman, and even Letterman has gone way downhill in the past couple years.  And let me be fair, that's a pretty bold statement to kick off this post, I just haven't found many CBS shows to be entertaining or enjoyable at all for the past, oh I don't know, 10 years or so.  Total shit?  Maybe not, but not my kind of shows to watch? Absolutely.

So when someone tells me to watch a CBS comedy (which usually always suck) that has canned laughter (what is this, the 80's and 90's?  What is this TGIF?!?!) I'm not going to be very receptive to the idea.  I like shows like Community, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, or Modern Family.  Those shows are all shot in a unique way for a TV comedy. They're different and they are hilarious.  But this isn't a post about what shows I like and what shows I don't like, this is about shattering expectations, and learning to give things a chance before dismissing them, even if you doubt you'll be swayed.

The inspiration here is a little show called How I Met Your Mother.  Canned laughter comedy on CBS, no chance I'll enjoy it.  In fact, I gave it a shot one night, right here on my couch, with the removal of all preconceived notions.  I still didn't like it.  It wasn't funny.  It wasn't groundbreaking, or even interesting.

But I didn't stop watching.  It wasn't bad enough for me to say "never again," like I have with several other horrible TV shows.  No, I came back.  I was convinced by the convictions of the fans that it is a good show, and that it is funny.  My roommate and sister-in-law has been watching every episode from the beginning here, whenever she has a chance, and every once in a while, I'm here to watch while she does.  I gotta tell you, I just watched three episodes in a row from season 4, and they were really funny.  Every time I watch this show, it gets funnier.

So there you go, I don't hate this show, even though everything indicates that I would.  I guess you can't just say you don't like something without trying it.  I've heard that statement my whole life, and it's been proven many times over.  This just further cements that thought into my head.  

No comments:

Post a Comment