Monday, December 31, 2012

Stick Our Resolutions Together

For the first time that I can remember, I actually accomplished one of my New Years' Resolutions for 2012.  I don't remember any of my past resolutions before 2012, but I imagine they had to do with losing weight and eating right.  That seems to be a rather common theme this time of year.  Get ready to see a ton of Weight Watchers ads on TV, because they know how many people make the same type of resolution every year.

What's my resolution for 2013, you ask?  1080p.  No, no I kid, I kid. I do have resolutions for the new year because it just seems like such an easy time to commit to a change in lifestyle.  New year, new habits.  In 2012, I made a resolution to save more money and do better at cleaning the apartment.  As a (mostly) stay at home dad, I figured I should make a real effort to keep the apartment clean, because if I'm not going to go out and make more money with some job, I should at least keep the place tidy.  Well, it took some training on my part, but I learned in 2012 that the apartment isn't going to clean itself, and it's a lot easier to maintain a clean apartment than it is to clean a really messy one.  My resolution actually worked.  Well, half way.  I did save money in the savings account for a while there, but then some things came up, (as usual) and I ended up doing a terrible job of saving money.

Which leads me to be serious about what my New Years Resolution for 2013 will be.  I once again have two.  I could roll over my failed resolution from 2012, but I know me, I don't need to double resolve the money saving idea that ain't going to happen.  No, I'm going to go with a dietary resolution.  I know these never really work, but I just want to wear large sized t-shirts out of the house instead of an extra large, so I'm going to get back on the workout train, try to improve the way I look and feel.  I think it'll make me happy.  I know that in order to make it work, I have to focus on it and work really hard at it, and I'm going to try, but the last thing I want is to be one of these folks that work out all the time and talk about how much I work out, and when you see a picture of me, I look exactly the same as I always do.  I want dramatic change in my body appearance.  I'm not going to talk about my workouts on the blog or social media, because no one gives a shit.  Seriously.  I'm just going to do it, because I should, not to show off.

The other half of my resolution is to cook.  My family eats far too many prepackaged foods because it's easier and quicker than making meals.  We are not the best at planning meals and stuff, and I just think we'd all be happier and healthier if we cooked healthy meals.  This is especially important for my lovely daughter, because I don't like what we feed her sometimes, but it's just convenient.  So that's the most important thing.  The workout thing, yeah, I'm gonna do that, but I really feel it's important that I start cooking meals.  It's not just something to make me feel good, it's way more important for my family's health that I do this.  Plus I think it would be fun to experiment with different recipes and ingredients.  It seems like a world I want to be a part of.

So that's what I'm going to do in 2013.  Leave a comment here or perhaps on the bloggerated facebook page telling me what your resolution is.  I'd like to hear from you.  Together, we can make ourselves happier by sticking to whatever it is we feel we need to change in our lives.  I think there's something we all can assess and make a change for the better.  Let's make 2013 our bitch.  Let's work together and motivate each other.  Let's hold each other accountable for our actions so that we stick to it.  Stick together team.  We live together, or we die alone.  

1 comment:

  1. I went down about 30 lbs in 2012. I want to go at least 10 more down this year. I signed up for a 20k race in May, I think I can do it, since I ran 12k today.
    Drink less pop, I guess, as well.
    Your two resolutions go hand in hand. All kinds of luck.

    ReplyDelete