Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Favorite Music of 2012

So a few things are converging at the same time that I think is pretty cool.  The end of 2012 and me hitting 20,000 all-time page views.  They should happen around the same time, because they're both really close to happening.  So that's pretty cool.  20,000 times someone has visited my blog space.  I'm pretty sure that's a drop in the bucket for most websites, but for a blog that's only driving force is my own personal thoughts and feelings and experiences, that's pretty cool, if you ask me.  So thanks for stopping by 20,000 times.  Now...what if everyone clicked on an ad every time they visited?  I'd be rich!

Today I present you with my sort of annual My Favorite music post, and this time, we're covering the stuff that came out in 2012.  There was one clear cut winner for my favorite album, and the rest are all tied for second or last.  It's been a weird year for me, musically.  A lot of stuff got played and forgotten about faster than you can say Mumford and Sons.  Others stuck, but perhaps not like they used to, because I'm getting old and that's what happens.

I refuse to use the word "best" when talking about music because music quality is immeasurable.  No one can say what is bad and good.  It's all taste and mood.  There is no best and worst.  Train sucks, but that's just my opinion.  I believe I've written this post already...so I'll spare you, but if you're intersted in what I was interested in this year, continue reading.  If not, this is a good one to skip.

I think it would be appropriate to show you all just what I actually listened to the most this year.  So here's a snapshot of my listening stats for the past 12 months, which was tracked by Last.fm.


As you can see, I listened to a shitload of Vacationer - Gone, and that, my friends, is my favorite album of 2012.  It's not close.  That's one of my all-time favorites now.  I'm not sure what else to say about it.  It's just really good, and I think you all need to go buy it.  Thanks

This list has a lot of artists who albums I spun the hell out of, but they were released before 2012.  For instance, Polar Bear Club.  Their album Crash Battle Guilt Pride was released last year.  So was City and Colour, Moving Mountains and Balance and Composure.  But those were artists I listened to a ton this year, even though they're disqualified from this post.

So I guess it comes down to these artists, which I guess because those artists that are tied for second place:

Uncle Skeleton - All Too Human
Say Anything - Anarchy, My Dear
Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
Mumford and Sons - Babel
Metric - Synthetica
fun. - Some Nights
Low Fat Getting High - Live Moderately, Die Whenever
Good Old War - Come Back As Rain
Young Magic - Melt

And there were more, too, that I would probably include in the list but I never got around to listening to them properly, like Bad Books - II or Slingshot Dakota - Dark Hearts, which I'm pretty sure would be near the top.  But I don't know enough about them.

Listen, if I had to pick from those albums that are tied for second place to be the one I liked the most, I'd say Sleigh Bells, which every reviewer in existence took a shit on.  I really liked it, and that's why you can't trust people who tell you what'd "good music and bad music."  Third place would be maybe Silversun Pickups, I guess.  Yeah, probably.  I really want to say that I'd include fun. in my top three, but one sone, One Foot, makes that album almost off the list all together.  So unfortunate.

So there it is.  Listen to these albums and you'll be happier.  Congratulations to Kenny Vasoli and Vacationer. You are my favorite music in 2012. (see profile pic)  Now a good blogger would link you to iTunes or Amazon or Spotify of SOMETHING so you can easily listen to these albums, but you know, what, there's a reason I only have 20,000 page views all time,  I'm not a good blogger. I did, however, include a link to iTunes for the Vacationer album.  Click on it and buy that shit.  Here's the link again for those of you that are scroll illiterate HERE!!!

Have a good rest of the year and lets keep our fingers crossed that 2013 is the best year for music of our lives!!!


1 comment: