Sunday, December 23, 2012

Shopping Was a Pleasure

Friday afternoon I went grocery shopping at Publix in the Bellevue area.  The Bellevue Publix is the best grocery store in the greater Nashville area (that I've found) simply because they sell Waffle Crisp in their "special requests" section.  I'll make that trip to that store as often as possible just for that reason.  I imagine I could make my own special request for Waffle Crisp at the Publix that I would usually shop at, but I happened to be in the area, so I chose that one.  I'm in that area enough these days visiting friends that I can justify stopping in and grabbing a box as often as I'd like without the need to make any crazy special requests of any other Publix stores. I was really surprised when we moved down here that I couldn't find any store that carried Waffle Crisp, which by the way is the greatest cereal of all time, in my opinion.  One time, my good friend Katie bought four boxes of it online and had them shipped to my house.  That is still one of the coolest things anyone has ever done for me.  Maybe she didn't buy them online, I don't remember, but I got a box in the mail with four boxes of breakfast gold delivered to my house.  Great day, that was.

Anyway, I was shopping at Publix in Bellevue when this guy working there came by and he was pushing a cart with chopped up pineapple and clementines, offering the shoppers free samples.  I love those fruits, but I know that clementines can be a real hit or miss situation, so I avoided that offering.  But I grabbed one of those fresh-looking, chopped pineapple chunks, and man, it was way good.  I know what pineapple tastes like, and I love it, and I didn't need a sample to remind me of that.  I hate hate hate it on pizza, but as a stand-alone fruit, it's one of my absolute favorites   But I wasn't going to buy any pineapple on Friday, however I totally bought some because that sample was delicious.  I even bought the pre-chunked ones they sell, which is more expensive than just buying a whole pineapple.  I wanted that experience again!

That dude totally sold me a pineapple.  Their scheme worked.  They got me to sample something I didn't need a sample of, and I bought in.  That's why they do it, man.  They're in the business of selling stuff.  Good job, Publix free fruit guy.  You sold that fruit to me.  I was happy to eat it later, and I was satisfied with my purchase.

Also, at that Publix, they sell 12 packs of Stroh's.  I have never seen Stroh's in Tennessee.  Not that I would by Stroh's beer, but they sell it!  They also sell Vernors, which makes my lovely wife happy.  Shopping sure is a pleasure at Publix.  

No comments:

Post a Comment