Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Clown Car

Oh, hey Bloggerated readers.  Have I even really mentioned that I'm going to have a son in a couple months?  Months?  More like weeks, really.  Let's see, today is the second of January, so that means baby Miles is due in...let me look here... 10 weeks from today, exactly.  He's due March 13th, and I couldn't be more excited.  A son!  WOW!  I've always wanted one of those!  Not that I couldn't play catch with my daughter, because I plan on doing that, but I can play catch with my son someday.  That's just great.

The thing is, I hadn't really mentioned it because this is not new to me.  This having a kid thing is not new.  I just went through this in 2011, which wasn't that long ago.  Those memories are so fresh, it seems like it was yesterday.  So not that I'm not excited about having another kid, it's just that last time, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and this time, it's more like, "okay, let's do all this same stuff again."  I've done this before so I'm not panicking this time.  Even if I played it cool on the outside last time, I was freaking out.  This time, I'm legitimately playing it cool. 

I like how everyone says, when I say I'll have a daughter and a son, they say "oh wow perfect, one of each!"  How is that perfect?  One perfect kid is perfect.  Two daughters would be perfect.  Two sons would be perfect.  Three aliens would be perfect.  Eight Dalmatians would be pretty cool too, except I heard they bite.    Anyway, you get my point.  I don't consider having one child of each sex perfection.  I think having two kids with two loving parents in a loving household is perfection.  I think that no matter what, having kids is perfect.  Just have those kids and take care of them.  Kids are the best.

So I'm excited to meet Miles, but it's just different this time.  This time two years ago I was freaking out about my life changing because of adding one baby, and now I'm just concerned about how we're going to fit in the car.  I drive a 2010 Ford Focus.  Buying that car in 2010 was a great decision.  A brand new car with zero miles, gets great gas mileage, and I didn't have to worry about fitting kids in it.  I only had to worry about fitting my drums in it.  But, two kids  and three adults in a compact car?  That's not really going to fly.  Kids require car seats, unless you're Britney Spears, of course.  But I'm not, I need to put my kids in car seats. They didn't market the 2010 Ford Focus to clowns, because it's not a clown car. It's gonna be real cramped back there for Lydia if we don't get a bigger ride, or if maybe she just doesn't get to ride with us.  But I'd like her to ride with us (for those of you who don't know, Lydia is my sister-in-law and my roommate.  She is awesome and I don't want to leave her at home). So there's that headache.  Car shopping, for what will probably be a used car that gets not-as-good gas millage. Oh and also, we live in a two bedroom apartment, which was all the space we needed in 2009, but now we have me and my wife, the cat, the dog, Lydia, Evie, and soon we'll add Miles.  That's a lot for a two bedroom.  Our lease is up in October, so we're going to move then.  This is what I have to look forward to in 2013.  A new ride and a new home.  I imagine by Christmas 2013, I'll have a very different routine.  Changes are coming along with this decision to grow the family, and change isn't always easy.  But change is good.  It's good to mix it up every once in a while.  It's good to put an end point to sections of life so that you can look back and see that things are different than they once were.  If not, you just stay still and life gets boring.  One thing is for sure, life in 2013 won't be boring.

So, to wrap this up nicely, 2013 will bring new car, new house, new person and a whole new world of exciting things to look forward to.  Last time I had a kid, I was worried what to do with a baby, that I was responsible for.  This time I'm worried about what car I'm going to drive.  But this I do know, this should be a year to remember!  Miles is going to be so awesome. I can't wait to meet him, regardless what car he gets to ride around in. That's what's important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment