Tuesday, February 22, 2011

America's Next Greatest Whatever

I was just watching some NBC and saw a commercial for a new show they're premiering soon.  The show is called America's Next Great Restaurant.  It's a reality type show with judges and ideas and what not, and I assure you, this will not end up with the actual "America's Next Great Restaurant."  It never works that way.

First thought about the show, NBC, and TV in general, is running out of ideas and running out fast.  Reality is the one format you always know that networks throw out there for cheap ratings.  That's okay, everyone needs to make a buck, however you choose to do so, do whatever works.  But I am like a lot of other consumers out there that crave an attempt at originality in their entertainment choices.  But the fact that this show is a bad idea in the first place doesn't even begin to touch on what got me pissed.

I have grown to dislike the big chain restaurants.  I developed this feeling once I moved to Nashville.  I learned the importance of supporting the small businesses instead of the huge corporations.  Applebee's and Chilli's get enough love nationwide for me to want to eat there.  If I'm going to spend my dollar on food, I'd prefer a local business.  I don't think I need to explain this in too much of a detail, but I want you to know where I'm coming from here.  The quest of this new NBC show is to find a new idea to make into a chain restaurant.  Really?  That's your idea?  There will never, ever be one great American restaurant.  There are way too many restaurants in this country that are all a bit different but all the while completely similar to say one is better than all the rest.  It cannot be done.

But, people like a good elimination competition on television, don't they?  I don't totally hate these shows, but I used to like them a lot, a lot, more than I do now.  But it doesn't matter, whatever restaurant wins will probably not catch on because you can't force that sort of thing.

I know this whole thing will be a huge waste of time already, so I'm never going to watch that steaming pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment