Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I Quit: Test Your Might

So, right, where have I been?  I've been busy, that's where.  Things tent to get hectic around here around the 4th, because my parents like to come visit, and we usually do stuff all the time.  This year is no exception, and we've been mighty busy for sure.

One thing I was busy with is not smoking, which by the way is going mighty fine, if you ask me.  Well, mostly.  I did have the one cigarette.  You see, when my step dad comes to town, he likes to go hear some good music and grab a few drinks.  What better place to accomplish that than in Nashville, Tennessee, right?  So anyway, on Sunday night, we headed out to Broadway to catch some music, probably at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge.  That's exactly where we ended up, but first we took a stop at The Wheel, another lesser-known honkytonk.  Anyway, this place is alright because you can smoke in there, which was a plus for me in my smoking days.  They have plenty of room to move and nice, clean(ish) bathrooms and a fine beer selection.  We grabbed a couple seats at the bar and ordered a shot and a beer.  After the shot, he pulled out his Camels and I couldn't help myself.  Oh, how I wanted one.  It was right there.  Just one, how could it hurt?

Now, it was this "just one" mentality that torpedoed my previous attempts to quit, and I am well aware of this fact.  But since this time quitting ain't my first rodeo, as they say, I'm better prepared to make it happen this time.  So, knowing that having one is what was the beginning of my downfall last time and I'm better prepared for it now, I know that going for it would be a bad idea, right?  

Nope, I smoked that shit.

I had an expectation of what this cigarette would be like.  It'd be like when you're dying for a smoke, and you're not trying to quit, and those first few drags will be sweet, sweet nectar, relief form the agony of nicotine withdrawals.  Nope.  It sucked.  It was terrible.  It was just horrible.  You'd thing that experiencing this awful smoke would make me butt the thing out right then and there, but no, I finished the thing, because I thought it might improve over time.  Nope.  It just sucked.  And we spent the rest of the night downtown, and I thought about smoking, but didn't because I knew I had a better purpose than that, and it wouldn't be worth it in the long run or short run.  

So, I'd say that it was a successful night.  I'd say I passed, but I didn't get an A.  I got a C+, but I still passed, damn it. And for some reason, I'm having a real hard time this morning.  I think I got a defective patch on, or something.  Ah well, perhaps I'll stop talking about it and see if that helps.  

See you later, dudes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment