Saturday, April 16, 2011

Baby Jaceyon? Holy Shit, People

Here's how I do this.  I think of ideas for posts, and sometimes I forget them.  I realized this was a problem so I came up with a solution.  Now, when I think of a good subject but don't have time to write it, I make a note on my iPhone.  Now, I shouldn't forget as many posts in the future.  Problem solved.

It must go along the lines of "great minds think alike," because our good friend over at Big Dave and Company wrote a post on Thursday about names, as part of his annual Alphabetic post series.  Earlier this week, I put a note in my phone to write about peoples names.  So it may look like I was inspired by Mr. Big Dave, but I was not.  In case someone who reads this blog also reads his, this is the disclaimer, I guess.

Cute babies need good names
The title of this blog is apparently a new, and completely retarded way to spell Jason.  Shoot me.

Names are a funny thing.  Names used to be normal, or as normal as we could imagine.  There were enough unique names in my graduating class that there were only a handful of repeats out of the class of 111 kids.  But now, different story.  If any kid has the same name in their class, they must feel a real shame.  The way parents have been naming their kids lately, it's infuriating to me.  Is it a desire to make their kids seem like a unique and individual snow flake in society.  I think it makes you look like someone who, first of all, can't spell. Secondly, makes you look like an egotistical jackass.  I will refraign from naming names of parents, but I guess a few examples off the top of my head include names like Austlynn, or Chord.  Yes, Chord.  What drives me crazy is when someone takes two respectable names and smashes them together to make one new, altogether stupid, made-up name.  I can make up dumb names, too.  Chauncley, Bronxtonly, uh...lemme think...Shrimpleigh...I don't know.  People will name their kids anything now a days.  There are no rules.

One of the biggest offenders of name bastardization is probably the name Kaylee.  I tried to decide on what the standard spelling of that name could be, but it's hard because everyone seems to love to add all kinds of letters and subtract letters at will when choosing this name.  My good friend T.J. (a rather normal take on a name, by the way) was doing some teaching a while back and had FOUR different girls named Kaylee in one class and ALL WERE SPELLED DIFFERENTLY.  UGH.  Come on, people.

Now, I know that criticizing someone for the name of their child is a touchy subject because it's their pride and joy.  A name is stuck with the person for life, and no one really, honestly wants to screw that up.  I wrestled with naming my own daughter Evelyn, because I didn't want to come across as some jackass, for whatever reason someone wants to perceive me as.  It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess, but man, at least it's a classic name.  To me, it screams elegance, plus it's her great-grandmother's name, so that's important.  I would guess no ones grandma was named Carmenleigh.  So knock it off, mothers and fathers.  Just because she or he has a unique, creative name, it does not automatically make the kid a unique, creative person.  That comes with solid parenting and perhaps a little luck and genetics.

Ha!  Well, this isn't even the post I wanted to write, but it's so much better than what I was going to write anyway.  I hate stupid names for kids and the snooty parents who give them to their kids.  If there is a good reason for the name, I'll go with it.  Let's say, there was a character in a movie in which you loved all your life, and the character name was what you decided you were going to eventually name your child,  long before you can even have babies. That's awesome.  No matter what, that's awesome.  So kiss baby Mulan or baby Jasmine or baby Alex Mack or baby Punky Brewster or Baby Clarissa goodnight and don't worry about what some dumb Nashville resident who feels like telling people what they "did wrong" thinks about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment