Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Liked Him Before He Went Mainstream

You guys wanna talk sports again?  I'll talk sports again, weather you like it or not.

Who the fuck is this guy?
The NFL draft is quickly approaching, according to my trusty news section in my local newspaper.  363 days out of 365, I couldn't give a fuck less about the draft, and as I'm aging, I'm giving a fuck less and less about college football in general.  The less I give a fuck about college football, the less I know about the players who play college football, thus making the NFL draft completely useless to me.  Sure there are some big names in college football that I can't help but know their name, because ESPN and the like just love talking about them.  So yeah, I know who Cam Newton is, but could I tell you if he's really going to be an NFL star?  NO.  In fact, no one can really predict that.  You just have to do your best by analyzing the past history of college players and how they were, and how they did once they got to the NFL, and use that to compare these new kids to that.  Everyone is different, so you cannot compare everyone to everyone else all the time.  And as the fans go, what the fuck should we care for?  We cannot control who our favorite team picks anyway, so we just have to rely on the experts to analyze and the GM's to pick one, and we get to cheer for whoever it is they decide upon.

There's a paralell in music here.  When a band in undergound still, there is a certain crowd out there who are looking for those undergound bands that they want to support and see all the way to the top.  These people look for the new, hip thing and like it before anyone else gets a chance to.  When the band makes it big, they get the pride of saying they have been singing the praises of this band since the beginning, and nothing makes you look cooler than if you knew about a band long before they became famous, right?  Well, these college/NFL scouts are these music fans, just jockier, I supose. Mel Kieper is like the football hipster.  He knows about all the undergound football players and could tell you about all of them, even though you just don't really give a fuck.  As long as they help you're NFL team do well, that's all that matters.

Yet for some reason, when it's actually draft day, I like to watch.  I have no clue who these players are, but it's fun to see them make it to the NFL.  It's not easy to get there, and once you're there, it's even harder to be great at it.  So even though I don't give a flying fuck about the draft right this second, I probably will on draft day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment