Saturday, December 11, 2010

Did I Ever Tell You Abut The Time I Met Paul McCartney?

[Never before have I come to this page, and told myself to write, has it felt more like a chore I don't want to do, than it does right now. I can't even begin to explain what that means, but the fact that I basically had to force myself to this page today is not good. I mean that it's not good because I do enjoy writing here. I really do. That's why I'm concerned. I don't want to force myself to write here. Why I have such strong feelings against doing this today, that I don't understand.]

I watched Paul McCartney on Jimmy Fallon the other night. It's always great to see him on TV, but it is also usually really awkward to see him get interviewed. What do you ask Paul McCartney that hasn't been asked before, and also be a relevant question? I always get uncomfortable when someone interviews him because I just think it's all been asked before, and when he answers, he just sound tired of it all. He's been making and playing music for 50 years, after all.

There was one story he told during the show that really got me thinking, though. This is a guy who's mere presence can make your day memorable. All he has to do is exist in the vicinity of you and you would probably remember that for the rest of your life. The degree of significance would obviously vary if you are, say, a Beatles hater, or a Wings hater, I suppose. But nonetheless, he is a major, global icon. If you met Paul McCartney, I'm sure you would remember that day forever. He told a story of riding a bus in New York, and having that experience, but on his side of it. Meeting a nice lady on the bus, whom he chatted with for the ride to wherever they were each heading. That day stuck with Paul, and I'm sure it stuck with that lady even stronger.

Every day, if Paul McCartney goes into society, someone will probably meet him for the first time, as we all meet people for the first time when we venture out to the store or wherever we are heading. Most people get forgotten. But when Paul McCartney meets someone, it's just a normal experience to him. But those people meeting him, they have something to go home and tell their friends and loved ones about. Not to say that everyone drools over celebrities all day, but it would be pretty fucking neat if you were shopping at the Kroger, and Paul McCartney was picking out bananas next to you. You would probably have to tell someone about that. That's pretty cool. Paul McCartney can make someones day/week/year/life by just existing.

2 comments:

  1. You mean like this? I heard about this a few years back.
    http://www.sj-r.com/entertainment/x1768860191/Paul-McCartney-makes-pit-stop-in-Springfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

    ReplyDelete