Monday, December 27, 2010

My Favorite Music: 2010, #3


Remember when I said that this wasn't going to go this smoothly? Boy was I wrong. I am pleasantly surprised to present to you my number three album in the list of favorite albums released in 2010.

#3. The Wonder Years - The Upsides

One thing I'll say is that I haven't shouted loud enough about the Wonder Years. First off, not a fan of their band name. Sort of expected band name from a pop-punk band. But what lies within the music is one of the most fantastic contributions to pop-punk in years. The band hail from Philadelphia, PA, and if you listened to Soupy Campbell's lyrics, you would have probably picked up on that pretty quickly. The album's lyrical content centers on Campbell's social awkwardness as well as being fed up with dealing with douche bags. Another running theme in the album is that he's "not sad anymore," and learning to understand where he fits in with society, which is not many places besides "the back of the van." It's odd for me to know so much about the lyrical content of music, because that's usually the last thing I hear when I listen to music. That's what makes this album so outstanding. The lyrics are so damn clever and interesting.

Those that know me know that I have been a fan of pop-punk since about 1999, especially in the earlier part of the 2000's. This is the best pop-punk album released in YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. It was really close to being number one on this list, but the other two above this are just so strong, I couldn't. If you like pop-punk or punk or good music, or good lyrics, GET THIS. It just got re-released, so go get that deluxe edition that I couldn't wait it out to get myself. This album is also out on No Sleep Records. (At one point, what label a band was signed to mattered, but not in my time listening to music. But I feel it should be noted anyhow.)

Key Track: New Years With Carl Weathers

No comments:

Post a Comment