Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Favorite Music: 2010, #1

Well, folks. We made it! We've reached number one on our little list! I know you "all" been on the edge of your seat waiting to find out what who grabbed the top spot this year, and I guess I shouldn't make you wait any longer, right?


#1. Sleigh Bells - Treats

No music this year, or perhaps ever, has instantly grabbed me and choked me nearly to death quite like what Sleigh Bells acomplished in 2010. This band created a bunch of buzz back in late 2009 when some demos were posted and someone noticed and started yelling about how great it was. So soon enough, a proper album was dropped and it did not disappoint. Relying heavily on heavily distorted guitars with odd tuning, layered over dance beats, with a subtle female vocal creates a recipe for disaster on paper. When put into practice, you get something completely fresh and new and like nothing you have ever heard before. Not only is it the coolest shit I had the privilege of hearing this year, it may go down as the coolest shit I have ever heard, or ever will. I can't say enough about this album that other people who are better at this sort of thing have not already said, but I want you to hear it from my mouth, I suppose. I'll say it again, what makes this special and fantastic is that it is totally new, totally fresh, and totally original. And very loud.

Fun thing to note about the entire list of top 5ers, none of them were purchased on CD. 4 of the 5 were bought digitally, and one on vinyl, which included a digital copy. Even of the Honorable Mentions, only three were bought on CD. I guess I didn't realize how much I was using iTunes and AmazonMP3 so much. But no matter how I got them, they are all great. I could admit that Treats and Infinite Arms were basically a tie for first, but I had to pick one over the other, and I could not pass the opportunity to rave about Treats. If you haven't heard this album yet, I suggest you go out and get it.

That concludes my wrap-up on my favorite music of 2010. If you know what's good for you, go out and buy these. They made my year awesome, and just because you can't include them on your list next year, doesn't mean you can't enjoy them next year just as much as I did this year.

If you want, please tell me about the good music I missed, and I will be very happy to give it a spin! Your input is very important to me!

Key Track(s): Tell Em', Straight A's, Infinity Guitars, Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment