Saturday, October 23, 2010

I Can See I'm Going Blind

Yesterday, I had a pretty scary moment. I was playing with the dog on the bed, wrestling with him or whatever, playing, you know. Well, as we were playing, he got a bit panicked as I tried to pull him in a direction he did not want to go, he flailed his paws around and hit me square on the eye. At first, I thought he had for sure done some serious damage to my eyeball. It stung like the dickens. Not like, flail around like a stuck pig or whatever, but like, an "oh shit" kind of feeling. This moment I'm speaking about lasted for about 2-3 seconds, when I realized that he must have missed, but barely. I got up and went to the mirror in the bathroom, and saw that he had cut open my lower eyelid with one of his razor toes. Like, right below my eyeball. There was a little bit of blood, enough to warrant putting a tissue on it. This made me realize how lucky I had just was. If he had hit me in the eyeball with that nail, it would have done some serious, serious damage. Hospital trip damage. Surgery damage. Life-changing damage. Just like that, my entire life could have been altered by one dog claw to one eyeball, in one split-second, without me even realizing what had happened. It amazed me that he missed, because it was so close. It's these lucky moments we tend to forget, where we nearly had something really awful happen to us. It's the actual shitty events we tend to remember, mainly because we would have to deal with whatever fallout comes with the shitty event. Like, we remember an actual car accident, because it actually happened. We don't remember the time that guy pulled out in front of us and nearly caused an accident. Know what I'm saying?

It got me thinking about this paralyzed guy who came in and talked to our 7th grade health class. He talked about how you should never take life for granted, and your ability to walk for granted. I often think of that guy. Do I take my sight for granted? I could have gone blind in my right eye. I know I was really lucky yesterday, and I hope I don't forget this incident.

Another thing that amazed me is how quickly the eye can react to something flying towards it. I didn't even try to react to my dogs paw, but I must have done so, at least a little bit, because he didn't hit the eyeball. Unless I was just that lucky. Either way, it made me realize how quickly shit can turn for the worst, when you least expect it and when you can't control the situation.

Well, try to enjoy today, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment