Sunday, October 10, 2010

Posts About Babies: The Smoking Gun

I really think my wife thinks I've been buying cigarettes, even though this is not the case. I had a wallet full of cash starting last week, and it has slowly disappeared, and I can't explain where it has gone. She's not the type to accuse me of doing dastardly things with the money, like lying about quitting smoking, and smoking behind her back. I have not done this, but when she asked me what I've been blowing all my cash on these last bunch of day, I had no good answer. I find it hard to believe that I've blown that much cash on snacks and Coke Zero, but I'm pretty sure that has actually happened. I'm a fat kid, I suppose.

But I quit, or I should really say, I am quitting. I said I would, and I'm sticking to my word. I said I would in about 2002, when she asked me to quit, and I said I would quit when I know I have a child on the way. I said, "as soon as I am going to be a father, I will quit immediately." I am living up to my word, and this was the only way I was going to quit. So no, I am not buying cigarettes. I am buying potato chips. A lot of potato chips.

I'm not sure why my wife wouldn't ask if I was spending money on cigarettes, as I am a terrible liar, and she would know in an instant if I was telling the truth or not, but I noticed she often avoids asking me questions like that. Not sure if she just wants to avoid dealing with a problem she has with me, because that's totally the opposite of how we run things in this relationship. We communicate, and that's why it has worked for so long. I wish more people understood the importance of communication. So when she was sort of hinting that she was wondering where the money was spent, I know the thought came into her head that I was spending it on cigarettes, and not telling her I was smoking. But she didn't confront me, and just believed me when I said "I have not idea where the money went, honey." Because that's the truth, but a weird answer to give, and one that I would imagine would garner some follow-up questions.

But yes, I quit because of the pending fatherhood. I actually started quiting the day before we found out, but I continued with full force because of the fact that I wanted to live up to my word as a 19 year old. I'm doing great, by the way.

Everyone is doing great. All is well here.


No comments:

Post a Comment