Monday, October 11, 2010

Shedding Tears

Yesterday was quite a miserable day for me. Quite miserable, indeed.

I get very emotionally involved with my favorite sports teams. I mean, I really get into it, and I want to see them win so badly, and it hurts so badly when the eventually fail me, and lose on a big stage. I am very passionate about my sports teams I follow.

Atlanta Braves
San Fransisco 49ers
Nashville Predators
and to a lesser extent, the Chicago Bulls

I have been a fan of the Niners and Braves since I was a little boy, and the Bulls, sort of, as well. The Predators just about a year now, I've been a fan. Anyway, the main focus of my emotional conneciton to these teams is the Niners and Braves. Well, both of them happened to be playing in big games yesterday, with the Braves in a very important playoff game and the Niners on national television game on Sunday Night Football. Both teams provided a moment of great joy, followed by a huge letdown.

First off, the Braves were being the Braves for about seven and a half innings yesterday, by looking like a minor league team, not playing well, getting beaten by whoever, and then they were just being themselves again when Eric Hinske hit a 2-run go-ahead homerun in the bottom of the eighth. I was fist-pumping and hootin' and hollerin'. The dog looked at me like I was nuts. I was so happy! They have done this sort of thing all season, with late game heroics, getting it done at the last minute. Just get three more outs, and this baby is OVER! Then...

Brooks Conrad can't play second base, and let's down an entire fan base with one error...no three errors, in the entire game...that directly lead to runs scored. Braves lose. Giants lead the series 2-1. We have to win both the next two games to advance...It's not likely. A great season, washed away by one guy who makes errors a lot. FUN

Anyway, so once that fiasco was done, I wanted to improve my mood with my favorite football team on NBC. They started out great, then proceeded to fall apart faster than my false hopes and dreams. They were getting pwnd in the third quarter, and then rallied to make it a game, then eventually blew it anyway, which I kind of figured they would do.

A fitting ending to a shitty day. The Niners are winless this season (0-5) and the Braves are one loss away from ending the season altogether. I get very emotionally invested to these teams, and it would be a lot easier if they would just fucking lose all the time, but no, they have to win some, make me happy, then blow it when it matters. These two teams had success when I was a child, and that's why I liked them. I haven't seen either of these teams do well (I mean champions) since 1995, when they both (in the same calender year) won championships! 1995 was a great year for me! Now, they hint at being a good team, then fucking die, just as I get my hopes up.

Good thing the NHL season started last week. Go Preds...Until you disappoint as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment