Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday's Are Meant For The Kids

There's just something about Saturday mornings that bring back memories of my childhood. It's just this warm, fuzzy feeling of waking up earlier than most kids tend to do on a weekend morning, and turning on the earliest Saturday morning cartoon I can find on my local, basic cable. Usually, the earlier the programing I found was, the more educational it was, and I couldn't wait for the real, good cartoons to start. And when they did, I was all over it. I remember the main channel to watch in the morning was Fox, am I right? They played all kinds of morning cartoons, but I could be wrong. It might have been CBS or ABC, but it doesn't really matter, and I just don't remember. But even now, it's not even about the cartoons, I guess. I don't know, it was just nice to hang out on the weekend, when I didn't have to go to school. I haven't had that experience as an adult, really. I haven't had an adult work schedule where I worked Monday through Friday, and had my weekends off to do things that normal families and or whatever would be able to do.

I was thinking of this as I drove to work this morning at approximately 5:45 a.m. I thought about how nice it would be to be off today. To sleep in, wake up, and do something around the house that you need to accomplish on a weekend only type-thing. Maybe this is where the Home Depot commercials have gotten to me. I feel like I need to spend my weekend painting, or putting new roofing on my barn/garage combo. Something other than sitting at a desk, blogging.

Building a fort in the living room with my brother. Watching WWF Superstars on USA network. Playing Nintendo games like RC ProAm, Blades of Steel, WWF Wrestlemania or Super Tecmo Bowl (or it's real name, Tecmo Super Bowl, but we always put the super first.) Eating some Bologna straight out of the container, and washing it down with Chips Ahoy cookies. 112 Rock St. Ah, to be a kid again.

Alas, we can never go back. We're stuck being adults now. That's okay. It has to be okay, because what makes time travel possible cannot exist. I have to get that new fuzzy feeling of a day off on a Monday or Friday, as those are my days off. My weekend days are the parenthesis of the real weekend. It's my reality, and I'm happy with it. I know someday, I will think back on today with fond memories and wish I could go back to right now. So I must make the most of it while I can. What I've found is that life moves pretty damn quickly.

Anyway, I felt like getting nostalgic on your ass this morning, because I miss being a kid. I'm sure everyone misses it to some degree.

I used to set up a tape recorder next to my record player, play songs from the record, and do my own radio countdown show, and tape it to listen to later. I'd love to hear that tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment