Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Rental Problem

I've talked in the very recent past about the lack of places to easily and affordably rent a video game in this town, and well, just about everywhere else as well.  I thought for about 12 minutes this morning that I had heard the solution, which it very well may be in certain circumstances, I guess.

Without going into detail, just know that here where I work, we have Wii games that we sign out to people when requested.  Anyway, someone came to me and asked if he could get the game that was rented from a Redbox so he could return it.

...eh?

Yes, apparently you can rent video games from Redbox.  I was thrilled!  This is great news!  It totally solves my quandary of where to rent video games from.  I have never used a Redbox for movies before, but I considered it.  Rent video games from them?  I might just have to try that out.

But then I looked up the details.  It's $2 a day.  But is one day enough time to fully enjoy a video game?  Very rarely.  If you only spend one day on a video game, it must not be very good.  No you need a lot of time with a good game. Days at least.  So at $2 a day, if you keep it for five days it'll cost you $10?  Gamefly offers $10 a month, and you can keep that game out for that entire month.  Yet I don't even really want to spend money on that plan. I guess if it's like, a sports game where the demo sucks and you want to play more than one period of hockey or 6 innings of a baseball game using only the Twins and the Yankees.  Then this is a good idea.  But let's say you rent, like, Halo or something?  You're gonna need more time than one day.  If you're like me, you're going to need more than five days.

Maybe I'm just not that committed to gaming, since it's too fucking expensive and I have a hard time finding the time to play anyway.  I thought I had the answer with Redbox, since they rent you movies for a dollar a day, but after thinking about it, it's shitty.   I can see it getting mighty expensive in a hurry.  Forget it.  I'll just play the couple games I got, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment