Thursday, November 10, 2011

266 Hits and Counting...

I feel as though I did the World Wide Web a serious injustice by writing a post a few months back titled "Instant Netflix v.s. Hulu Plus."  I felt that if I wrote this piece, and then titled it something that I knew people were eventually going to Google, I was probably going to get some page hits.  Little did I know that I was very right.  I got page hits alright.

A typical post of mine, depending on how hard I promote it, gets about five and thirty views.  Not this Netflix post.  To date, it has gotten 266 page views.  I'm sure that's a very small number to other sites and stuff, but for me, someone who wants readers and wants people come keep coming back, that's a big number.

The problem is that the post itself was so non-informative, I feel embarrassed about it.  I didn't go through the pros and cons of each service as clearly as I could have, and thus, making it a real hard read.  I know that people came to that post for a reason, they wanted a clear cut answer to the question, what is the pros and cons of these services.  Now, I did answer that in the blog post, but the post was so full of opinion and other diatribe and meanderings that it made it useless to a reader.  If I happened upon that page when looking for answers, I would have closed it after the first paragraph.

So I didn't expect people to actually read what I wrote, but they did.  It makes me realize that when I go fishing for hits by titling a blog post something that I know will be Googled, I need to make sure the post is actually relevant to what people will be searching for...or, it should at least be entertaining and funny...that would help, I suppose?

Who am I kidding, I've never really been funny on these virtual pages, have I?


No comments:

Post a Comment