Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Take Pills

This is a buspar
After reading an article about drug abuse problems in rural areas of the country, it recalled an incident that happened to me sometime around my freshman year of high school.  There was this dirtball kid around town, let's call him "Jimbob" for the sake of anonymity.  I think he probably was a nice guy, but he had a reputation of being a troublemaker.  Anyway, one day, I was hanging out, minding my own business when I saw him and a friend walking around as well.  We both knew that both of us smoked cigarettes, so we had a bit of a connection because of it, therefore I guess we were acquaintances, I suppose.  So, while we were talking and probably smoking cigarettes, he tells me he has this drug that he or someone he knows takes to correct a lazy eye, and if I take one, it will make me feel amazing.  He said the pill was called a "Bushpar."  In the days before Google, I just had to trust him that that was what this drug really was.  But, I couldn't confirm it, because it was just a little white pill.  He said "Are you going home after this?"  I said I was, so he suggested that I don't take the pill right now because he figured if I went home, I'd be all messed up on this drug and he didn't want me to get caught by my parents.  So he suggested I shove in in my pocket and take it the next time I had a few hours to kill.

I did just that.  I stuck the pill in my pocket and walked home. I never told anyone, not even my closest friends that I had this pill.  I couldn't shake the feeling that he was playing a joke on me or something and if I took this drug, something terrible would happen to me, like going into a coma or something.  I carried that pill around in my jeans pocket for about a week, fiddling with in in my pocket, thinking about what ill effects or what sweet effects it would have on me if I took it.  I kept in the back of my mind something that my dad had always told me, that my dad had pills in his medicine cabinet that if I took trying to get high, would stop my heart.  He had pills that would drop my blood pressure so low that it would put me in a coma.  He had all of these to make him better, yet I had this unknown pill in my pocket that was supposed to make me feel great.  What if Jimbob was wrong?  What if this killed me?

I threw the pill in the trash, because I was afraid to take it.  I had never heard of a "bushpar" so I didn't know if he was just making up a name for some pill that I shouldn't really be taking. (turns out after searching for it years later it's actually a buspar, and it's an anti-anxiety medication)  I was tempted to take pills, I was given it out of the courtesy of an acquaintance but I said no to drugs, mainly because I was to scared of the unknown.  I guess my dad taught me something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment