Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Trip pt. 3

There is just something about the comfort of being at my parents house on a fall/winter holiday.  Now, my moms house is not necessarily home, as I didn't grow up here and she only moved to Big Rapids, MI in 2008, it's still my moms house.  When I'm here, I sleep better than anywhere else on earth, that I've found so far at least.  It smells like cinnamon and spices and stuff, just like our house home did while growing up, so that helps, I think.  My dog like it here because it's a bit more open than our little apartment back home.  There are four pairs of hands to hold a increasingly heavy baby, which is nice.  The refrigerator and pantry are filled with food, unlike my house.

It's not like it's a super nice, new bed that we sleep on when we're here.  It's an old bed, and it's really not that comfortable, actually, but I sleep so hard every time we're here.  Another thing that's neat about being here is she lives in an area where there is no neighbors.  I mean, they are around, down the street a little ways, but you can't see them and they can't see us.  When I was walking the dog last night, I couldn't help but notice how dark and quiet it was out there.  Living in the city, I never see stars, except for the very bright ones.  As I walked the dog last night and my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I noticed the stars beginning to appear, peaking through the partly cloudy skies.  You forget how many stars there are if you never see them anymore.

Another thing about being outside here in Big Rapids is that it's actually cold outside.  22 degrees is way to cold for my new southern blood.  I had to borrow a jacket, which is a fantastic 90's Columbia jacket that actually used to belong to my brother.  It's pretty ugly, but when there is no neighbors and no traffic, no one will see me, so I really don't care.  Here's a picture of me wearing that jacket.



So, now the gross turkey is in the oven, (well, I'm sure it's tasty if you eat that sort of thing) but I would have to admit, it smells pretty good.  There are a lot of things cooking right now that smell great.  Some chick just sang the national anthem for the Packers Lions game, and I couldn't be happier right now.  I have to go enjoy this day now.  See ya later.  

1 comment:

  1. Love the jacket man!

    I think living out in the country is a great way to retire. I love places like your mom's. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have a place like that someday.

    Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete