Thursday, April 15, 2010

Advertisements.

I was real fired up last night as I was trying to fall asleep. My mind was racing and my thoughts were spinning. I wanted to get up at that moment and write down what I was thinking about right here on this very page I'm typing upon right now.

But now that it's morning, the moment is lost. I could probably bring it back by trying hard, but I feel it would be a forced anger. I had really good points to bring up, too.

Lemme give it a shot.

I was sitting in my bed, thinking about how advertisements piss me off. Especially advertisements that are not directed at me. It's funny because the ads I like are the ones in which I am the target audience, which is the whole point. By the way, we're talking about television ads at this point.

Commercials in the USA, Adverts in the U.K.

Examples of commercials I like and dislike are easy to see why. I like Old Spice commercials. They are funny to me. I haven't seen a Old Spice commercial that I don't like in a long time. On the other hand, there is a particular Kashi commercial that can go straight to hell. It depicts nice lady explaining that she works for Kashi, and it's her job to go around the world and find the best ingredients for their products. So they show her walking through what looks like a rain forest, meeting locals, grinding cacao, and licking her finger, as if to say that this is where the chocolate comes from in their granola bars. HIGHLY UNLIKELY. I'm not buying it, motherfuckers. Oh, I'm sure the Kashi company decided to send this nice, kinda hippie-ish, but not too hippie-ish, kind of mom looking woman into the forest to gather some berries and cacao, to put in her little satchel and throw over her shoulder, so she can take it back to the company headquarters, and MAKE MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF GRANOLA BARS AND CEREALS.

Fuck you, Kashi.

You know what? That wasn't forced at all.

But I like Old Spice commercials because I am the target audience. I'm supposed to like that. The target audience for the Kashi commercial is a woman, probably over the age of 21, but under the age of 55. That would be my guess. That's clearly not me. It's funny how my wife points out how I fall for advertisements all the time, which is sorta true. I do buy Old Spice products, more than I used to. She can see right through their ad campaigns, as I can see right through ad campaigns that are not targeted for me. So whatever works. Basically, I don't like commercials, I don't like ads. Whatever you call it, I don't like em'. Except for Old Spice. They do a good job.


No comments:

Post a Comment