Monday, April 5, 2010

My Cursed Day

As you may have noticed if you checked you're calender, today is April 5th. For several years now, I have told people that April 5th is my cursed day. And I truly believe it to this day. There have been several instances I can recall to exemplify the shitty-ness of April 5th throughout my life time. Let me explain:

April 5th, 1996: Mark Celesky and a number of other degenerates and I were caught smoking during lunch hour in 7th grade. We would sneak out the side door of the Manual Training Building of the middle school, head across the street behind the church and smoke cigarettes. We had done this for a few weeks, and the church people had witness us doing this. They alerted the school people, and the principle watched us head over. He walked over and confronted us. I got a few days of out of school suspension and severely scolded and grounded by my mother. It was terrible...for a 13 year old.

April 5th, 1998: Another incident with my juvenile smoking adventures, my Mother found a pack of smokes in my jacket pocket when doing laundry. Again, grounded severely and had several privileges revoked. Disappointing my own mother is also crushing to a 15 year old.

April 5th, 2000: The date of my Junior prom. I had asked Dana Desrochers to be my date a few weeks earlier, and she declined. My first attempt to ask a girl I liked to do something with me, and she shot me down, and not for the last time, I might add. Though it was her constant refusal to be my girlfriend that eventually led me to start dating my current Wife, so that turned out alright I guess. I remember on the day of the prom, I had a massive scab on my chin from a zit gone awry. It encompassed the entire right side of my chin. So unattractive. So Chris, Tom, my brother and I went to the movies and saw Ready to Rumble instead of going to prom. By the way, we were winners.

April 5th, 2003: While heading home from a midnight shift, exhausted, I traversed a ridiculous snow storm without incident only to arrive at my apartment and find that my parking spot, which was the yard, had been completely plowed in by the lovely city of Negaunee. I was very tired, and didn't feel like shoveling the spot out, so I decided to just plow my way into the spot and I would figure it out when I woke up later in the day. I got about a quarter of the way into the spot and got stuck. I tried to do the rocking thing where you quickly change gears from reverse and forward, to no avail. I jumped out of the car, mad, and didn't realize I had left the car in reverse. With this car, if the car was in gear and you closed the door, all of the doors would lock, presumably a safety feature. Well now my car is stuck, with it's ass out in the road, in reverse. I had no extra key because I had just bought the car a few weeks before that. Mr. Wrecker came out about 45 minutes later, managed to roll down the window so I could put it in neutral, so they could pull me out. I was awake for a few hours more than I had planned on, and was pretty pissed. I was also amazed at how shit happens to me on April 5th. This was also the year that I was screwed on the NCAA tournament as described here.

Oh, there's more...

April 5th, 2005: While driving that same Pontiac to Marquette, from Negaunee, bringing Bethany to work, I was coming up the hill before the TV6 station when my car suddenly lost all power and acceleration. I managed to pull it into the health department parking lot, where it died completely. It wouldn't start and wouldn't do anything. I had it towed to my Dad's house where it sat for about 5 months. It had a blown fuel pump and a bad "coil tower" whatever the fuck that is. It ended up costing me $650 to fix, and the problems from then on continued for that piece of shit car. While it was parked, I drove the legendary Jeep all summer, which I hope to detail the hilarity of that thing in a future post.

All in all, the April 5th's since then have been pretty quiet if my memory serves me correctly. I do remember last year driving home from work, a midnight shift once again, and either worried about the conditions of the road being poor because of snow or ice, or worried that my car was going to die for some reason, because of a mechanical issue I was having at the time. I don't remember, but I know I was worried about it. And I'm sure there was a perceived level of bullshit that has happened on every April 5th's in between 2005 and 2009 , but I don't remember exactly. So yeah, wish me luck today, because I obviously need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment