Monday, April 26, 2010

He's Talkin' Music Again, Folks

Before writing this post, I had to say to myself "please let this come out right." I know what I want to convey, but I haven't figured out exactly how I am going to do this, so bear with me.

When most people think of art, they think of painting. Well, at least that's the first thing I think of. Music is also an art form. That's why we call musicians artists. And when thinking about music as art, that is what I have finally figured out is my problem with some music that is created in the world. It's not artistic. I couldn't exactly describe what i didn't like about country music or Alt-metal or whatever you want to call it. Country music is art, sort of, like in the way an old metal coke sign is art. Or the art you buy at walmart to decorate your mobile home with. Sure, it's there, for you to look at, but it's also probably a reprint, or not the original. The emphasis in country music is on the words, not the music. If the vocals were removed from any country song from the past 20 years, you would hear the same song over and over. I understand completely why people listen to country, because they can relate to the messages relayed in the lyrics. The music is not challenging it doesn't necessarily make you think. It's what you put on to get through the day. They sing, mostly, about down-home problems and things of the nature that the common man can relate to. I have no problem with that, I just don't have time to waste on it, mainly because I don't relate to those issues.

This problem is the same one I have with another genre. That genre is this new post-nu-metal stuff that is out there. I could rattle off a pile of bands that are the culprits, but I don't even know what's out there anymore. I used to listen to it a lot, mainly when it was "NU." Linkin Park is one band I would probably throw under the bus. The problem with a band like that is the opposite of what is wrong with country music. The lyrics are so bland and pointless, there's no way anyone can truly relate to them. I guess the vagueness of the whole thing is an excuse to listen to it so you can apply any situation to the anger and frustration of the words. Let's provide an example:

There's something inside me
That pulls beneath the surface
Consuming, confusing
This lack of self control I fear
Is never ending, controlling

Discomfort, endlessly has pulled
Itself upon me distracting, reacting
Against my will I stand beside my own reflection
It's haunting


Can anyone please explain what exactly he's talking about? I mean, I guess I get it. He is having some sort of insecurity issues. There's also lines about the "walls closing in" which would indicate some sort of external pressure upon the writer? Man, I don't know and Ive been trying to figure that out for 9 years.

These music styles are just the tip of the iceberg. This is not to say that if you like country or alt-rock (or however you want to sugar-coat the term Nu-Metal these days) that you are an inferior music listener. Like what you like, but I'm just trying to point out that, as an art form, musicians can do better, and so can listeners. I'm not saying that the music that I like that is artistic is better than any other type of music, because your music choices are about YOUR TASTES, not what others think. I know there are a lot of Nickleback fans out there (with lines like "that shit makes me bat-shit crazy" among their amazing word choices they use) and I can't, nor would I want to stop that from happening. But people, really, you can do better. When you think of music as art, it's more enjoyable. Again, this is just my opinion.

Will you people listen to some fucking Jazz, already? That's the place to start. Jazz is pure, unadulterated art. That's the closest thing you're gonna get to an audio painting. Especially if you're hearing it live, with all the improvisations, that's like watching a painter paint a portrait. It's all the originality you can imagine, without the pretentiousness of indie rock. Indie rock is, again, in my opinion, the closest thing you're gonna get to true art in music today. But most peoples jeans aren't tight enough to walk into the indie record store and pick up the Broken Bells LP. Most people don't want to associate themselves with that sort of thing, because they don't want to seem uppity. Whatever, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Indie snobs are just as bad as metal heads when it comes to hating on music they don't like.

Can't we all just get along? Why do we have to hate any music? I don't hate any music, I just would prefer not to associate myself with certain brainless radio rock or country. Because some musicians out there have realized that we all can do better, when it comes to making and listening to music. And those artists have gone and done that.

I feel bad dropping this monster of a post on you on a Monday morning, but I get passionate. Thank you for reading this. This topic means a great deal to me. It's all I do. Oh, this and watch sports. But seriously, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment