Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Game of Real Life

I always tried to explain my life choices up to now by referencing the board game Life.  At the beginning of the game, you chose to go to the right and start college, get loans, and have a chance at a better career and a better salary, or you can go left, skip college, and start your career straight off.  Now, I've won the game of Life numerous times by skipping college and starting my career.  I figured I'd apply that same logic to real life.  Skip college and try to win Real Life that way.   Well this morning, it donned on me, that I need more money, in general.  Not like, a stressed out thing, but more of a "I would like financial freedom now, thank you."  The first thing I though of was to get a better job.  Great idea, if only I had the work experience or perhaps the college degree most good jobs require to have.  So, I decided in about a span of four minutes that I'm going to take classes and get a degree so I can have more money.

Yep, that simple.  No big moment or anything, no pomp and circumstance.  Just gonna do it.  Gonna get me some loans and perhaps some government grants and go get me an education so someone will hire me to do work and pay me handsomely.  My main motivation?  The Nashville Predators.

Some out there would say "Shouldn't your main motivation be to provide for your family and your (soon to be born) daughter?"  To them, I would say "OBVIOUSLY, dill weed."  I mean yeah, that's what I need to do, but I can sort of do that now anyway.  It's not like I'm a bum on the street or anything.

Maybe I drank too much coffee and started thinking too quickly or something, but I just feel like right now, this moment, is the time.  Why the hell not?  My lovely wife works at a higher learning institution, and I can go there for a reduced rate or something, and I'll have to look into that as an option.  If not, there are other options I can explore for sure.  I just feel like I should go to more hockey games and I need more money to do that.  So what I'll get a degree in, I don't know just yet, but it'll have to be something I find remotely interesting, I suppose.  I'll figure out the logistics of it soon enough.  But something has to change, I think.  Yup, I'm gonna make something out of myself.  I just hit that "That's it" moment.  I'm putting this down here to make it official.  There's no backing down now.

So in the board game Life, you have to choose to go to college right away, and if you don't do it at the beginning, you don't get to go back and do that part over again.  But I think somewhere in the game you can land on a spot where you can get a degree and draw a new career and also draw a new salary.  So I think on my last spin here in the game of Real Life, I just landed on that spot.  Not to mention that I landed on that baby girl spot on the board as well, and will soon add a little pink person to my game piece.  That was always my favorite part of the game of Life, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment