Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Undercover Brother

From time to time, at your job, they hire someone new.  Now, in a lot of jobs that I've been at, they hire someone new and they have that new person "shadow" someone who has been there a while, as a way of passive, lazy training by supervisors and managers.  Like, "hey, why don't you train this new person.  I know it's my job, but why don't you do my job for me?"  Well, that happened recently.  By recently, I mean yesterday.  Anyway, they had this new guy at my job to learn what we do so he can fill in when we need someone to cover a shift whenever needed.

So naturally, they put him with me and my regular, everyday coworker, because, well, we know what's up, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, let me be clear.  I hate being shadowed.  I hate it so hard.  I'll do it, but I hate it.  The new guy is watching my every move, trying to learn how the job is done.  But here's the thing, I like to slack off whenever possible at my jobs.  I take a little time here take a little time there and eventually, its' time to go home for the day.  Well, when someone is learning the job, I have to do the job properly, which in my case, is really fucking boring.  So, I just basically didn't stop talking to him the whole time, and you know what?  It totally worked.  The time flew by anyway, just by talking his ear off about the job and the site.  This wasn't that bad this time, I'd have to say.

When I came around the corner at the job and saw a new guy sitting at the desk, the way the guy looked, I wondered if he was some sort of manager or something.  You know, just dropping by to see how we run things here at my site.  Well, he said he wasn't, but the way he looked, with that hair, and his advanced age, red flags went up immediately.  First thing I thought was "this is the CEO of the company I work for and this is a filming of the CBS reality show "Undercover Boss."  So, I played it as if it was, because it seemed likely.  The company I work for has thousands of employees all across america, and is considered "the largest" of it's type of industry.  It wouldn't surprise me if the CEO participated in a taping of the show.  So, I honestly played it as if this really was a taping of the show, and quite frankly, I hope it was.  I played myself as a knowledgeable young man with needs, who has a child on the way, and could use some help from a reality TV show.  So fingers crossed that I'll be on CBS soon enough.  Because this guy didn't look like a regular old me and you type guy.

Also, he was totally bating us to talk shit about the company all day.  Busted dude.  Busted.  I'm on to you.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know...young man with needs and a child on the way? That sounds more like a show for MTV or TLC or maybe a Canadian sports network if you look at it through the lens of your hockey fandom.

    ReplyDelete