Saturday, March 12, 2011

What's On TV? Anything Good?

Back in late 2000 and into 2001, I would spend a large portion of my life in front of a TV screen watching music videos.  What makes that era so significant was that was when I started hanging out with what would eventually be my wife and the mother of my child.  We forged a friendship and eventually a romantic relationship watching music videos.  Honestly, I remember that we watched videos together, but it didn't really sink in that that's how we started being friends, like, hanging out every single day, until very recently.  I am where I am because of music videos, really.

So about two months ago, I rescanned for channels with my fancy digital TV and my fancy digital antenna.  I rifled through the channels to see if there was anything new to watch (new channels are being added all the time, or so they say) and landed on channel 30.2.  The bottom of the screen said this channel was called "theCOOLTV."  I noticed rather quickly that this was a channel that played music videos.  Excited, I was.  Now, we already had two or three channels that played music videos here, but they played Christian music or country music videos on those channels.  This channel was playing videos from modern and classic artists of "traditional" tastes.  What I mean to say is they were playing everything from Michael Jackson, Journey, The Police and Aerosmith to Fall Out Boy, Cage the Elephant, Lupe Fiasco and even Toad the Wet Sprocket for cryin' out loud.  I was really surprised to see this type of channel available to people with over-the-air antennas like me.  Surprised, but happy.  You see, I described before in one of my "music" posts how the decline of the music industry coincided with the decline in airplay of music videos.  Now, is the CoolTV the answer to that problem?  No.  But nonetheless, it's pretty badass that the channel exists.  Now, I have my TV on that channel most of the time.  It's wonderful.  My wife and I, sittin' around the house watching music videos.  Just like old times.

I saw the video for Everlong by the Foo Fighters yesterday.  Would I have watched that amazing video or heard that amazing song yesterday without theCoolTV?  No, I wouldn't have.  I could watch that video anytime I want, thanks to the internet, but I wouldn't choose to.  But the fact that this station played it, I saw it, and I'm glad I did.  Shit like that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment