Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cancelling my Newspaper Subscription

R.I.P my subscription to The Tennessean.  Someday in the very near future, I will wake up and make coffee per usual.  Then, I will open the front door to grab this mornings news paper and it wont' be there.  This will be the first time in two and a half years that this will be so.  I had been waiting for them to print some kind of stupid article that would make me cancel to prove a point or something, but it would be hard to find that article these days because I haven't really read it at all in the past few weeks.  It's gotten progressively worse.

When I first moved to Nashville, we didn't have cable, or an antenna to pick up TV so I couldn't watch anything   We didn't have Internet, so I couldn't go on a computer and do anything useful.  We didn't have anything.  We had a Wii, that's about it. One of my first days here I went to the convince store near our house and bought a newspaper, just to check it out.  I found myself really wanting to have this every morning, because really, I had nothing else  I didn't even have a job at that point.  So, I subscribed, and that paper kept getting delivered everyday.

Slowly but surely, we kept adding things to our lives.  First I got a job.  Then, we bought a new, big TV and an antenna so we could watch the local channels.  Then we got the Internet hooked up at our house.  Then we got Netflix to bring movies to our house.  Then we got a Playstation 3 to play video games.  Then we got iPhones.

And then one day, my wife and I created a little baby girl.  Through all this, I was still getting the paper delivered, but every time we added something new to our lives, the paper just fell further to the wayside.  Once the little girl was here, it was nearly impossible to sit down and read the newspaper.  Most of the stuff I read there I was getting from other sources anyway, so about 1/5 or is was actually informative at this point.

I feel bad because the newspaper industry is sinking fast, and I know it's "their fault" for not keeping up with the times, and sometimes you can see a headline and think "Wow they're really just trying to move units with that one, aren't they?"  But sometimes, (and I'd go as far as to say very often) there is an article in there covering a story that needs to be covered, and they're the only ones who are covering that thing.  Just today I learned exactly what banks are adding monthly fees for check card usage, which is my bank (Regions) and Suntrust.  Now I know not to switch to Suntrust!  Thanks Tennessean!

So you see, it's the first thing I had here when I moved to Tennessee so it has that special place in my heart, but it's now being axed from my daily routine.  It's been fun, newspaper.  I will still go to the store and pick one up when I feel like reading something, but for now, you have to go.  We need that extra $18 right now.  I support you, even though many hardcore Predator fans have boycotted you for your perceived negatively-slanted journalism towards the team, at times.   I hope you don't sink into the Cumberland river.  

No comments:

Post a Comment