Thursday, August 26, 2010

If Ya Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...

So they say that the sense of smell is the strongest of the five senses that ties you with memory. This is very true, as one whiff of a certain whatever will instantly take me back to whatever time it reminds me of. And not in just some vague way, but I mean really, really strong memories. Well, I have a confession today, readers.

I haven't had a cigarette in nine days.

Yeah, I'm quitting smoking, but doing it the exact opposite as I did last year when I tried. I was "live tweeting" the experience last year, and this year, I haven't even told anyone except my mom and wife and regular, everyday coworker lady. It's happening, for real this time. I am determined to do it.

Well, as I walked around outsider, I was taking in some deep breaths, and I was getting this vague feeling of something from ages ago. I could not pinpoint it, but I knew it just smelled like 1998, for some reason. Well folks, I realized that I was smelling what the outside smells like, which I hadn't smelled since then. See, in case you didn't know, when you smoke, it makes you sense of taste and smell go way down, so you don't get the full on effects of those senses. Well, after kicking the habit, I can smell stuff way better then ever. So when I walk outside in the fresh air, I smell the air. I knew my sense of smell would return, but I didn't know how quickly that would happen. Turns out, it's about nine days.

That is all the time I have today, people. If you need me, I'll be outside smelling the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment