Saturday, March 27, 2010

Another Pointless Hockey-Related Blog

Today should be a big day for me personally. Tonight I will go to Bridgestone Arena to watch the Nashville Predators take on the perennial powerhouse that is the Detroit Redwings. In case I have not mentioned it before, I am a life-long anti-supporter of the Detroit Redwings.

I always was asked the question when I lived in Michigan why I did not like the Wings. I never really had a really good answer to give, but I just don't/didn't like them. It dates back to around the age of 7 or so, when my friend and hockey player Pard told me that the Redwings suck and the Blackhawks were the best. So I believed him, not knowing any better, and became an anti-Redwinger. That carried over to sometime in the mid to late 90's when I would hang with the Whitford family. They were hardcore Redwing fans and my 13 year old head said "you should oppose their favorite team to get under their skin." So I did. I recall watching the 1996 Stanley Cup playoffs with them as the Wings took on the Winnipeg Jets, and in the next round, the St. Louis Blues. I remember them being all about it, and me not knowing what was really going on because I wasn't that into hockey at the time. Rooting against their favorite team made the games interesting because I had a vested interest in the outcome, therefore, I started to care about hockey. I latched onto the Flyers at first, because they had Eric Lindros, and he was a good player. No other reason. That's the same way I latched onto the Niners and Braves anyway.

So I've always rooted against the Wings. Why? No reason. When Colorado and Detroit had their feud in the late 90's and early 2000's, I became a Avalanche fan. I moved to Nashville, and what do you know? They got a hockey team here, and now I'm a fan of it. The Nashville Predators have actually succeeded in completely distracting me from the upcoming Major League Baseball season.

And now, tonight, I get to root against the long-hated Wings against my adopted hometown team. WHAT FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment