Saturday, March 6, 2010

So we stand in these little boxes and smack a ball at each other?

Alright folks, this one has been brewing in my brain for a while now. This particular blog I'm writing feels a little different than usual. Normally, I would talk about about something I'm familiar with or have/going to experience(d). This is Different. And I like it.

What do we know about the term Four Square? What do we really know?

A quick search tells us that it's a game played on playgrounds across the nation, perhaps even world. It's one of those playground games that we had out there that no one knew how to play so no one did, similar to Tether Ball, but no one played Tether Ball because it was kinda dumb. (no one can take more credit than Napoleon Dynamite in the proliferation of the game of tether ball, and the game is now viewed in a much more positive light.) We had the four squares painted on the ground, and no one cared. Four Square can also be referring to a Supermarket chain in New Zealand, an educational writing tool, the leading brand of cigarette in India, a Canadian educational show for preschoolers, a British game show, a pinball machine from the early 70's, or a floor plan for a modest, two story house in the United States.

Why I was interested to look up Four Square was not my desire to find a new (old) fun game to bring into the spotlight of American culture, which I of course have the power to do, but it was because I had heard about a new social networking tool bearing this name that was sweeping the nation. It was featured in USA Today and as I read a bit of the article a few weeks ago, (yes, I am once again way behind the times here), I thought the concept was cool enough to investigate. From what I understand, using FourSquare, you "check in" to places you go to regularly, and get points or something for doing so. If you visit it enough, you become mayor of the place and can do cool things, or something, until someone else comes around and takes over by visiting that site more than you. This is a game, and one in which I'm sure business owners are loving because you win by going somewhere. People inherently enjoy winning things, even something as trivial as visiting a store or museum or water park or whatever, more than anyone else. Games are good for the psyche, because you can win, and winning is as American as apple pie.

I'm not sure I'm ready to embrace FourSquare, partially because I think you need a "smart phone" to play it. Therefore, I'm out for now. This might not be true, but I don't really need another social networking distraction right now. I have enough to keep me busy as it is. Additionally, I shouldn't play this game because I will lose, because I never leave the house. Cool concept, but there's also a downside....

A dark side to this wonderful idea, that will leave you without much inside. By inside, I mean inside your house...

Pt. 2, tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD. You've never played Four Square? We used to play the shit out of that game at recess in elementary school. But you don't want to play the social networking version, because it can get you in trouble. Some Dutch guys created a site called "Please Rob Me" (www.pleaserobme.com) that links into Four Square Twitter Updates and published lists of homes whose owners are away. Swear to God, read it on the BBC. And I won't even swipe that idea for Big Dave and Company. Keep up the good work man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAAAAAA This was my major two-part blog ABOUT PleaseRobMe...did you see the post for March 7th? It's my crowning achievement in writing. You were onto me, well done.

    ReplyDelete