Monday, March 15, 2010

Getting Back On-Topic

I'm pretty proud of myself for my performance last week here on Blogger. I managed to write something six out of the seven days last week. Well, technically, I cheated, but I won't go into all the little details.

Today I'm going to go back to an old favorite topic...listening to music.

If you don't want to hear me talk about music again, feel free to hit the X in the corner.

You never want to admit it when one of your most favorite bands in the entire world releases an album and you hear something you don't like. This happened last year, but it took me 9 months to admit it. 311 is one of my most favorite bands of all time, and this is who I am referring to this morning. Last year, they released an album called Uplifter. Please do not get me wrong here, I really, really like the record. I think it's another solid output by 311, even though you can just tell they're getting older and losing any edge they may have once had. But the record was produced by Bob Rock. All I know about Bob Rock is that he also produced Metallica's album St. Anger. For those of you that don't know, everyone in the world hates St. Anger except me. That's pretty much my favorite Metallica album, but that is a different subject altogether. People hated St. Anger because it didn't sound like Metallica. The drums sounded weird. Well, this is the exact same complaint I have with Uplifter. Chad Sexton is the drummer for 311 and I have been a huge fan of him since the first time I heard him. The dude can tear it up, and his drums sound so tight and amazing. He always had this real crisp snare sound that I wanted to emulate (and now do, since I bought a piccolo snare(!)) and was a very distinct identifying sound with Chad Sexton's drumming. On the new album, it sounds like he's banging a tomtom with a snare thingy on bottom. It's all ringing all over the place and not sounding like Chad's snare. Kinda ruins the experience for me.

But Golden Sunlight is a good song.

OK that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment