Thursday, March 11, 2010

Conan is still funny and celebrating a special holiday

I believe I have talked about Twitter before, but damn it, I'll do it again. If you hadn't noticed, Conan O'Brien decided to join Twitter. This is cool because Conan is everybody's hero. He's funny and we all miss him on TV. I don't remember a time when Conan wasn't on TV, because of my age. So anyhoo, last Friday, Conan decided to randomly follow someone who was following him. The person he randomly chose was Sarah Killen, from some po-dunk town in Michigan (shout-out) and said he would "change her life." It seems to have done exactly that. All of a sudden, she's on morning radio shows, CNN, Good Morning America, and I'm sure a number of other programs. Someone bought her a computer, and have helped her out with her coming wedding. This is amazing to me. I mean, people win stuff everyday, like the lottery, reverse flying V guitars, and other killer things, but this one is different if only because it was all made possible by the human touches of Twitter. The people that Tweet are real, and you can potentially have contact with the famous.

There are some people out there that feel that this is something that is not really that important and you have your own life to live or whatever. But to me, having a sort of connection with someone famous is pretty cool. I recall one criticism of Twitter that some people have brought up is the argument of "who cares?" Well you know what? I care. I want to know what Ashton ate for breakfast (even though i stopped following Ashton because he is useless on Twitter). I want to know what Jessica Alba is reading, or what Chad Ochocinco is doing this weekend. I care because these people are just people, who happen to be in the public spotlight. I'm a person, you're a person (presumably) and I care about what you are doing. I know it's hard for some people to understand, but I care about that. Even if it's just a temporary escape from everyday normal life. You can't just go through life bashing what other people enjoy. What a miserable person you would be. I'm guilty of this sometimes, but not nearly as much as some other people.

On a side note, today is 311 day. This is a national holiday for all fans of the band 311. Every other year, they put on a special concert to celebrate 311 day. Usually it involves them playing for approximately 4 hours, covering most of their catalogue, which dates all the way back some 20 years. It's really an impressive thing to see, that one band can give back to their fans with a concert that is so awesome. I am in envy of those that are privileged to attend. This year, they are offering a webcast of the concert on their website for a small fee. I doubt I will take advantage of it because I have to work tonight, but I would love nothing more than to watch that. Oh well...maybe in 2012?

So happy 311 day everyone, and always try to remain positive!

(ed. The 311 day concert is an entire 5 hours, not 4. even better)

No comments:

Post a Comment