Sunday, May 16, 2010

Homo-nership

One of my best good friends just bought a house. I'm really happy for them, and it's really cool and all, but I have wondered for a long time if homeownership is the answer for me.

Now, I know they had a terrible landlord in the house they had been renting, which would drive anyone into changing their situation, but I have not had such a problem in my adult life. Adult life, meaning since, like, 2004. Granted, I have lived in apartment buildings since 2003, which kinda sucks because you can't really play drums in one of those. Well, you can, but I'm not rude. The point being, I have thought about my own homeownership before, and am pretty torn between the two options.

On one hand, you own something. You are a proud owner and get to do whatever you want. If you want a room with black walls and ceiling, with neon yellow carpet and and neon paint splattered on the walls with black lights in every corner, and a disco ball hanging in it, while rave music plays in it constantly, YOU CAN DO THAT. You own the house. You can mess with it all you want. Want new kitchen cabinets? Go buy some and put them in. You want a big 13 foot privacy fence so you can lay out naked in your back yard, go for it...as long as the city allows such a blockade...check with your cities codes people, I guess. You can party in it, shit on the floor, clean it up, and scream at the top of your lungs in YOUR house, if one was so inclined. Paint the outside Smurf blue, for all I care.

On the other hand, you and your family (doesn't have to be anyone else but you, I suppose) are asleep in you're comfy bed one night, and all of a sudden, you're awoken by a thundering rumble. You get out of bed to find out what it is, and it turns out that ice has built up on the edges of you're house, so much so that it has ripped off the fascia of you're roof. On top of that, it's freezing cold in this place. Oh, what's that? The furnace is shot? Oh and you don't have electricity in the back half of the house, where the kitchen is? Guess who has to pay to fix all of that? That's right, you, my friend. All this just happend after you just dropped $900-$2300 on something that can't be refunded, like a trip or youth soccer, or that donation you're alma mater. Have fun.

Now, let's go back to the renter. All these problems described above have just happened to the renter, as well. It's a full moon, I think. Renter picks up the phone and calls Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. landlord or land lady, and fills them in on all that has gone wrong with the house.

"Thanks, come on out and fix it, I appreciate it."

The point, homeownership, while it brings a great sense of accomplishment, and says you are successful at something, and provides you the freedom to do whatever you want with you're dwelling, has it's drawbacks. The key is figuring out if you want to take that risk. You never know, you could also be stuck with a shitty landlord as well, who doesn't come out and fix any of the problems you have just encountered. Now you're sitting you're house, freezing, eating Taco Bell, stepping over a pile of aluminum every time you walk out to the garage. So owning the property could be better. Just depends on your own situation, and what level of bullshit you are willing to put up with. For me, I will most likely own a house someday, but I will look at my options of renting before I just go out and buy one. If you buy a house, it's harder to get out from under that than a lease. But you know, I mean, what could go wrong with our financial situations in the next 10 years?

I'm just sayin' keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment