Friday, May 14, 2010

A Yooper in Nashville

Yesterday, I wrote a little reminder to all y'all that I'm not dead. I had to do it remarkably fast because I was at work. Now, I'm home, and I'm taking a break from cleaning the apartment to type some words.

First off, I wanted to point out an interesting finding I came across. I put a reader poll up about the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and more importantly, who my readers think would win the Cup. It was posted and closed before the first round even ended, and like usual lately, I only received one vote. The vote, as you can see, if for the Montreal Canadiens. At the closing time of the poll, that prediction seemed a bit far-fetched. (*note, I actually don't know if that poll closed before the Habs upset the Caps in the first round, but I think this is the case. Also, I'm pretty sure whoever voted there voted before that epic win, so it's most likely true) Turns out that prediction has a real good chance of coming true. So I'm going to leave that up there, so all readers can see how awesome that one voter was.

I had this amazing feeling of cool city hipster this morning, as I drove down I-440. I was sipping on a Grande coffee from Starbucks, smoking a Camel, listening to the Big Dave and Company Podcast, heading to Whole Foods. As I looked to the skyline to my left, feeling haggard considering the hour of my journey to the grocery store, I felt like I was a part of the city, not just a resident, but someone that you would look at and say, "he looks like a city boy" or something like that. I never felt like I fit into the country, small-town atmosphere. No idea why that is because that's where I come from, but I guess I've seen enough images of "city folk" in my day that I felt that's where I want to be. I like living in a city. All things I want are a short drive away. There's just stuff going on, and I like activity.

Next week, on the 21st, that will be my one year anniversary here in Nashville. My prospective of the difference between the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Nashville, TN, is really becoming less easy to point out. Not that I totally forgot what it was like to live in the UP, but I feel more a part of this city now than before, and I like it here so much. I really do. And that makes easier to forget the UP. I have to learn to forget it, because it's still painful sometimes not being there. I've completely come to terms with what my life is right now, and I really like what has happened. I used to wonder everyday, "what am I doing in Tennessee?" now I say to myself everyday "I love my life."

I'm a proud Tennessean, and a proud Nashvillain. Villain!

No comments:

Post a Comment