Thursday, May 20, 2010

Taking Small Things For Granted

365 days ago, I got into my Volkswagen Passat, and started driving south. 14 hours and 960-some-odd miles later, I was in middle Tennessee. Save for the trip to Atlanta this past weekend, I haven't left yet. I miss home, but I'm glad to be where I am, because this is a life experience. I've talked enough about that, though. What's really got me going this morning has nothing to do with my current location.

Tuesday morning, I awoke like usual, and grabbed the newspaper from outside my apartment door, as usual. The next thing that is the usual, that's where it gets unusual. I ground up my coffee beans, and put them in the filter in the coffee maker. I added the water, and plugged the coffee maker in to the wall outlet. I hit the brew button, and...nothing. Nothing happened. I hit the brew button again, aghast that it didn't do what it was supposed to do, and it just sat there, looking at me, while I looked at it. The coffee maker was broken. It's weird how things will just stop working properly sometimes. It's one of those things you rely on, but don't think much about. I make coffee every morning in that coffee maker, and it's always just there, working, ready to brew delicious coffee. When it didn't work, I didn't know what to do, immediately. Like I said, it was morning, so I'm not thinking clearly. I remembered that we have a french press that is an alternate way to brew coffee, though not as efficent, because you use more beans for less brewed coffee. So at least I can still make coffee, but I was probably more shocked at the fact that there was something I relied on and it just...stopped working.

So now I gotta buy a new coffee maker. That one wasn't even that old. 2 or 3 years, I believe. In the meantime, I'll be drinking the coffee from the french press, and all the sludge that comes with it. I'm not complaining about having to make coffee in the french press, because it works just fine, I just wasn't expecting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment