Thursday, May 27, 2010

You Talkin' to Me? No, Seriously...

I don't know about you folks, but I always feel bad nodding and smiling at people when they speak, and I don't understand them. This happens a lot at my usual seat at the security desk here at work. It usually happens when I am listening to some jams on the work computer and someone walks by and says something to me. I say, "what's that?" and turn the music down. They repeat what they just said, and I still have no clue what they're talking about. So I nod and kind of make a noise like, "eh, good, yea, ha, nice, g'nite." It pretty much covers me for anything they might have said. If they said, "goodnight", the g'nite covers me. You get the picture.

This happens a lot with people of another color, if you know what I mean. I just don't know what the hell you just said. Was that English? It was?!?! Damn...

It's especially problematic when the people are walking out, not looking at me, and make a noise our of their mouths. You see, here at my workplace, there are a lot of people that use bluetooth headsets. You don't even know how many people walk towards the desk and say "Hey how ya doin?" to no one in particular, with only me in the area. They're not looking at me, so I assume they have a bluetooth headset. Then they smile at me. Still not sure if they're talking to me. I scan their head, but I can only see one side, so I still can't know for sure if they're talking to me or not. So I say to them, "eh, good, yea, ha, nice, g'nite." They smile and keep walking. Works every time. If they weren't talking to me, I can look like I was just talking to myself. Awkward situation averted, a situation caused by you, person whom I work in the same building with. You cause people to be uncomfortable, so you don't have to hold a phone to you're head. Everyone probably hates you.

Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment