Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Got Married

You know, its been over a year now, and it feels like a generation ago, but there are still some decisions I made in and around my wedding last January that I can't help but regret. I know that I was under intense pressure to do things correctly, and make sure all were happy, but there are certainly some decisions I made that I would like to go back and change. I know that no one would care, and they were understanding of the decisions I had to make, but some of the other mistakes I made were pretty dumb.

First off, I STILL worry that it looked like I was slighting a good friend, and one of my best friends in the whole world that day, by asking him to be my pianist, and not standing next to me with my brother and new bride. I hope I made it clear enough, on that day and leading up to the day and after the day, that having him in that position was in no way a slight to him. I wanted to include as many of my closest friends as I could in Tuxedos. This was the logical decision then, because he is the best pianist I know. There was no stupid order or ranking of my friends with whom were dressed up nicely. All were equal! At least that's how I viewed it in my mind. I certainly hope no one would feel like they were slighted. I feel like I slighted them though, in a way, just because I wish they all could have been my best men. They are the best men I know, though. So, I don't know I hope they understand. I say they because I'm including the ushers, too.

Second thing I regret is only inviting two of the security supervisors to the shindig. Why did I only choose two? Why didn't I just invite all of them, knowing some of them would have to work anyway? What the hell is wrong with me? And to make me feel even more stupid for my stupid decision, neither of the ones I actually invited showed up, and one that invited as a "come later and drink with us" guest, actually showed up. What a mistake. Why didn't I just invite him outright? What was the purpose of only inviting him later? To make me feel bad for leaving out people I like?

I don't know, these things have just bothered me for quite some time now. Carry on.

1 comment:

  1. It's a non-issue. I wouldn't ask you to be the best man if it was an issue, for what it's worth.

    I just kinda wanted to be the Billy Preston of Dead Cities...sniff...

    My hands are tied wedding wise because I want 4 guys up there, but Megan is mustering only three ladies.

    ReplyDelete